54% off at Aubrey's meats in the Byward Market [Food/Vendor]

2011 Mar 25
Hey Ottawa, welcome spring and prepare summer with this exclusive deal with Aubrey's Meats in the Byward Market. Get the freshest, natural and locally grown meat the city of Ottawa has to offer. Get $109 of naturally raised, locally grown meats for just $49.95 from the oldest and most renowned butcher in the ByWard Market... Aubrey's Meats (in business since 1908).

For that visit koopon.ca/ottawa

2011 Mar 25
Thanks for the headsup! Missed the earlier deal but grabbed this one!

2011 Mar 25
okay, this seems alittle odd - they sold 3,000 plus coupons for the first round approx $165,000 in gift certificate/coupon sales....and now they are doing another round....i know the meat business has fairly slim margins so to play the devils advocate here if i was planning on closing down a store....what a perfect way to inject cash into a business before closing it.

i wonder if kahoot and koopon pay all the money up front to aubrey's...i gotta beleive so......and i would bet that if they closed up shop there wouldn't be much that all the consumers could do - maybe kahoot and koopon would be responsible.....

any thoughts on this?

2011 Mar 25
Hi,
I thought the same thing.

Why are they sending out another deal when they just sent out a letter saying to pre-order and that they were "overwhelmed"???

Well,
if I paid by credit card usually I think you have 3 months or something to get a refund.
It might be longer-not too sure.
Something like non-receipt of goods or services?
I've had to use that with a few stores online before.

Now would Kahoot actually want to be responsible for that much paying back of people??

I hope I do get to use up my certificates though-I probably have $250 of those deals from different places I have not used yet.
(mostly food,but also some dance lessons :)

This does not make Aubrey's look very good.

So are people only buying meat or are they getting some of their other products like roasted chicken,prepared dishes ect??

I would like to walk in and just get a couple sausages and some bacon tommorow.
hopefully they do not mind a small order??

2011 Mar 26
I have been a very happy Aubrey's customer for many years and I would seriously doubt they would engage in activity that was not above board. My guess is that this deal probably put in place before the other one had hit the internet.

Personally, I don't have a problem with having to do a preorder. I have been in their store many, many times and I can see why if 10-20 people came in wanting to cash in hundreds of dollars.

I don't have any problem with businesses being called out here when they have actually done something wrong. To speculate they Aubrey's is up to something, I think is simply not fair and for me, offering deal like this makes Aubrey's look good.

I will continue to be a very happy and regular patron.

2011 Mar 26
I was just at Aubreys today.

All I can say is if you want one of their very tasty looking roasted chicken it is better to reserve one as today when I was there they had only 2 left and 1 while I was there the guy working there put a reserved note on it...so really they had 1 roasted chicken.
(next time I will get one...already had chicken in my fridge to use up).

No problems getting any chicken breasts today...but I only did get 4.

I also found out that the coupon deal is not valid for DAIRY PRODUCTS?
Kind of disapointed about that as I bought some goat cheese and was hoping to use my coupon for that.
(I would have bought the same cheese anyways from another place...so not a huge deal).

But I was told that you can use the coupon deal for the jams and sauces they sell.

They also did not have any sausages in the fridge case and I was hoping to buy 2-they did have some frozen ones though.
didn't really check what they were though.

Overall pleased with the deal...but slightly dissapointed about the no dairy thing as it is not written on the coupon that I saw.

I do have a question though...

Can anyone tell me what the very large eggs that were in the case with the cheeses...what are those?
I have never seen eggs that big.
I totally forgot to ask when I was there....

Also was at the store around 4:30pm there was only 6 or so people in the store..only had to wait for them to cut up my chicken.

2011 Mar 26
Ostrich eggs.

2011 Mar 27
"Can anyone tell me what the very large eggs that were in the case with the cheeses...what are those?"

They might be Ostrich eggs but I am fairly certain they are Goose Eggs.... which I tend to buy from Aubrey's about once every Spring.... very yummy.

2011 Mar 27
A goose egg is about twice as long as a chicken egg. An ostrich egg is the largest single cell on earth, and it's HUGE -- about the size of a small canteloupe; equivalent to 24 chicken eggs. It would be quite a novelty to be able to get ostrich eggs here, so I'm guessing they're goose eggs too.

(Image from wysiwigs.homestead.com)

2011 Mar 27
I hope nothing is going to happen to Aubrey's since I love shopping there, been for the last year.

I got another 2 of the Koopon deals, since I already used up 1 of my Kahoot coupons and plan to start the other one next week.

I also noticed they haven't been able to keep up with making the prepared foods since this deal.

The eggs in the cooler are Goose Eggs, it's the season. Goose eggs are richer then chicken eggs.

2011 Mar 27
I have egg on my face :) They are indeed goose eggs. Not sure what possessed me to write ostrich eggs...

2011 Mar 27
Mmm goose eggs... I've had those, really rich yolk! Give them a shot!

2011 Mar 27
I didn't think they were Ostrich eggs as I've seen those before and they are quite big, heavy and have a very thick shell.
Now the only ostrich egg I seen was hollow-I've never seen a "fresh" ostrich eggs.

I'm a little dissapointed that Aubrey's did not have many prepared dishes or sausages. I was hoping to buy2 sausages while there.
But I was also told they do not make chicken sausages (wasn't expecting them too,but was hoping....).
Guess I'll just get my sausages at another place,where I do get chicken sausages.

I do have to add, I thought Aubrey's store looked very bare for a Saturday!

2011 Mar 29
I too was surprised at the second deal. I would have thought another one would have made more sense heading into the slower season, some time in the fall. *shrug* They seem to be overwhelmed and have not had time to get prepared for the influx for these coupons AND for the busy BBQ season ahead. I suspect this may be an all too familiar case of "the bean counter" (be it partner / accountant / book keeper etc. trying to help but), choosing poor timing, not knowing the day to day operations, what staff can handle, patron seasonal and general trends and just generally the overall business.

Owner Brian was having health issues for quite some time but thankfully is now back. Financially speaking this couldn't have been great for him and these new marketing ideas might look quite attractive. Their equipment is aging (as all do through time) and could probably use upgrading. An influx of cash could help with that. I also know that having cash on hand can mean bulk purchases and possible discounts for doing so. These marketing coupons also can do wonders for getting new faces in the door.

Hopefully the staff can hit their stride with the influx of clients and continue to give them the great customer service that I and their regular customers have grown to love. Through time they will learn better about what their own increased needs for purchasing and preparing meat will be, so that the shop is well stocked. I am sure it is a learning process.

In the meantime, pre-ordering can help them to meet your needs. If I know I want something specific I pre-order. Otherwise I browse and take my chances.

2011 Mar 30
Shouldn't that be to MEAT YOUR NEEDS ;)