Buying Fish [General]

2011 Mar 20
Hi guys,

I just bough fish and I was pretty careless about it. I read some tips now, which doesn't really help after buying the fish. I got a question: my fish has really red eyes, is that an indication of something? I got a red snapper and yellow tail.

And if you do have tips that you think aren't listed in any tip website post it here. (and where to get good prices/ good quality product)

-P

2011 Mar 20
Generally if the eyes are cloudy, the fish would be old (also there would an unpleasant odor)

The fish should be firm; if you poke the fish & if it doesn't 'bounce' back to form, I wouldn't buy it. BTW I NEVER NEVER buy frozen!

My favorite fish places are Whalesbone & The Merivale Fish market, I've never dealt with Lapointes but I've heard good things & on my only visit to TNT they had an enormous display of fresh fish. My best surprise for quality & price is the Produce Depot on Carling, great guy, always fresh & always reasonable...

Hope that helps...

2011 Mar 22
Pelican Fishery is usually good, but overpriced.

I see nothing wrong with buying frozen scallops or shrimp.
Most restaurants and stores get those in frozen and defrost them.
I would rather buy the packaged frozen shrimp or seafood so I know the ingredients in it.

Most frozen shrimp and scallops and some other items, they use a lot of sodium phosphate? in them or phosphate something or other.
I am trying to avoid that ingredients and just want the "plain" shrimp and scallops.

those are very hard to find. Pelican only has 1 kind of shrimp with no extra chemicals and it only has salt on it.

Loblaws now actually has a lot more preservative free seafood!

Cedars market is also good for fish, it is the guy who used to work at Pelican that makes the sauces and runs the fish dept there...i forget his name.

2011 Mar 22
You're right, I too buy frozen Shellfish...

My bad
Terry

2011 Mar 23
I searched around town for the elusive shrimp without trisodium phosphate, and got some advice here on where to look, but was surprised to also find them at Costco last week.

2011 Mar 23
I don't have a Costco membership-it is too far for me to go there by bus.
And there is not much I buy there even if I could.

The only "fun" thing for me about Costco is I used to be paid to evaluate the food sampling tables a couple years ago.
Don't have any "shocking" things to reveal about that...just there is supposed to be food sampling every Saturday before 3pm I think and Sundays usually.

Another thing that is hard to find without phosphate is frozen crab-like snow crab or whatever.
I did buy some in a block at Pelican for $18 something though...product of Canada too.
-made some crab cakes with that...yum!

It is also found in most bacon,sausages,breads that are packaged :(

but luckily I have succeeded in finding some great organic and grain fed meat products that are produced locally.

Metro and Loblaws does have some organic shrimp nowadays.
haven't tried it yet.

2011 Mar 24
The Produce Depot on Carling is my go-to place, limited selection due to space, but great quality, and more recently, the fishmonger who used to run Lapointes Bells Corners is running the show, I expect it to get even better there.