Spicy Green Peas! [Food/Vendor]

2011 Mar 15
I visited my family in Victoria (BC) earlier this year and discovered a tasty new snack food. I bought this bag in Victoria's Chinatown. It contains numerous (maybe 30?) tiny sachets of spicy peas. These are not wasabi peas! They are spiced with chilis and flavoured with a garlicky seasoning. They are also much smaller than wasabi peas. The diminutive packets are perfect for satisfying a salt-grease craving with minimal caloric intake.

Anyway, heartily recommended, and I noticed that they can be found at local Wal-Mart stores, in the Asian food section. No need to go to Victoria's Chinatown.

The Wal-Mart version seems to have corrected the "Sricy" typo. :-)

2011 Mar 15
I love those things - highly addictive! They make a great garnish if you pulverize them into a greenish powder as well.

2011 Mar 15
Oh, awesome. I've been thinking of using pulverized wasabi peas as a crust for salmon, but I bet these ones would be even better.

2011 Mar 15
"Sricy Green Peas"
Don't the Ringlish versions allways taste better somehow :-)

2011 Mar 16
Those look good, are the peas colored to look like that?
they look too bright (most of those pea snacks are colored...).

But most of those are also fried...so not really healthy.
It is pretend healthy!

I've seen spicy peas before,but not really tried them.

I have roasted my own soy beans and seasoned them-it is not too hard to do,but is a lot of wait time, soaking beans,putting in oven.

But now that I did that once myself and have a printed instruction sheet from the farmers market I go to (there is a local soybean grower/vendor).
I will just do it myself to avoid the oil of those snacks (or use minimal oil).

You can also use chick peas and other beans to make crunchy snacks if you like.
I have seen baked seasoned chick peas as a snack for sale online before.

I plan on trying spicy oil next time I roast any beans and probably something other than soy beans to see how that goes.

Happy snack hunting!

2011 Mar 16
Nobody's pretending that these are a healthy snack! The only healthy thing is that they are pre-portioned and if you eat only one you aren't ingested all that much grease.

Not sure if they're colored or not.

2011 Mar 17
Thanks Fresh Foodie. Bought a huge bag of these, spelled correctly, at TNT yesterday. Smuggling some into the theater for Frankenstein tonight. St. Patrick's Day & Frankenstein demand an appropriately green snack.

2011 Mar 18
Ok,
maybe I shoulda left of the "unhealthy" part.
Just that so many people assume those things are healthy because they are vegetables...

I actually like the snack Snappea Crisps.

it is kind of Japanese, but also made in the US now.
I forget who makes it, but Natural Food pantry sells it at the crazy price of $7 per 4oz bag.

I used to buy this at the Japanese store in Ottawa for $3 something and Shoppers sells it for around $3.50 on Bank st only as far as i know.

the snack looks like crunchy dried beans or snap peas but it is made of corn like doritos,but there is pea in it to make them green.

I'ma gonna pick up a big this weekend if I remember :)