Trader Joes [General]

2011 Mar 9
In the forum about Wholefoods - Captain Caper mentions Trader Joes ...

My sister who lives in BC talks about this store - I think she's been to a few on the West Coast. I was looking for more info about this store, where is the closest one to Ottawa, are there any in florida, etc. and wasn't able to find answers to these questions on the web.

Does anyone have any answers/comments?

On the topic of Wholefoods and Organic Produce:

Can't really say much about whole foods as I've never been - however, I can tell you, it's more important to me to eat local than to eat organic. I've been getting an organic basket lately and it's made cooking interesting, however, I would likely not bother with certain fruits and veggies just because they are organic when they come from South America, etc. Things come in all sorts of under and over packaged materials, some things are +++ great as they are "living" while the fair trade bananas I've been getting just don't seem to ripen ...

Anyways, the organic basket delivery company is Ottawa Organics if anyone is interested in giving them a try. I think the price is more than fair, you can get weekly or bi-weekly delivery and you can add an individual item or two to your order in case you need something and don't think you'll have time to pop out and get it before your box arrives. Very convenient!

www.ottawaorganics.com/

2011 Mar 9
flexie As far as I know there are no Trader Joes stores in Canada. Too bad - they have lots of nice stuff and not too expensive if memory serves me right. If you are a cross border shopper you might find a store in upstate New York or a border town somewhere with a Trader Joes. There is a store locator on their website: www.traderjoes.com/

I would also echo your endorsement for Ottawa Organics. I used their service for about a year or so - Matt had an excellent selection of fruits and veggies and he was more than accomodating when it came to adding or substituting items when needed. I chose to drop out because it was difficult for me to be home when he arrived so I chose to frequent the farmers markets instead.

2011 Mar 9
I've only been to Trader Joe's a couple of times but the impression I got was of a lower-end, budget conscious Whole Foods. The prices are lower and it carries a lot of its own house brand of foods. The ones I've been to are smaller than the typical Whole Foods but I don't know if that's a general trait.

2011 Mar 9
Not 100% sure but think trader joe's came out of california. First went to the one in san francisco near fisherman's wharf. One of my favourite is their chili mango :D It is an us chain and most recently I had been to one in NJ.

The price is lower than whole foods but they have a lot of good products they sourced themselves and some stuff whole foods would not carry.

Both are good and each have their own orientation. Some friends swear by some of their frozen foods.

I bought pretty decent belgium chocolates 1lb for something like $4.. they also had some stuff german colleagues says were hard to find imported German stuff. I found dutch sirop waffles there which I had not seen outside Netherlands (and maybe belgium).

2011 Mar 9
List of locations: www.traderjoes.com

2011 Mar 10
I think Trader Joes reminds me of Loblas PC brand, and their new Blue menu line too.

Also along with the Shoppers Drugmart Nativa Organic's line of foods and maybe Life brand food...that would be the equivalent of Trader Joes- except we do not have cheap discounted wine here.

2011 Mar 10
I love Trader Joe's--I go there almost every time I am in the States. What it offers is excellent quality "gourmet" items at prices that are often lower than the supermarket. Their house brand items are uniformly excellent.

I especially like their dried fruit (esp. the slab apricots--make amazing jam) and nuts. My very favourite thing right now is their Thai Chile and Lime Nuts (or something like that--I will be bringing back about 20 bags of these when I am in California in a few weeks. They used to have really great deals on vanilla beans, but I have not seen those lately--I do use their extract though.

Their wine selection is excellent, and prices are great--about...$35 or so for the yellow label Veuve Cliquot.

2011 Mar 11
Those syrup Waffles- Swiss pastries has those and of all unlikely places....

SHOPPERS DRUGMART!! yes, they have some Nativa Organic syrup waffles.
they are the exact Dutch/German whatever waffles, but organic.
I have bought them a few times and they are very good!

I was shocked to see Shoppers have their own store brand syrup waffles.

Also the Nativa organic cola gummies are very good!

2011 Mar 11
If you're referring to 'stroopwafels' then they're available all over the place in Ottawa. The Dutch store on Merivale and the Bagel Shop being two, but I think I've seen them at Loblaws too. Perhaps you're referring to something else.

2011 Mar 11
the quality of trader joe's food is much superior to shopper's drugmart life brand foods or blue menu.

2011 Mar 11
agreed that trader joe's stuff are far better then blue menu or nativa.. PC/Blue Menu used to be more innovative than they are today.

yes inkling, i mean the stroopwafels.. Thanks for the heads up. I guess i don't shop at right places lol Will have to limit my purchase since even though I like them they have too much sugar and I am watching that.

2011 Mar 12
Echoing mark_ottawa, those chili lime cashews are heaven. Especially with a gin and tonic with lime. Heaven.

Trader Joe's also offers some great takeaway food if you don't have time to cook. And it's a fun place to shop! I can't say that about Blah Blahs.

2011 Mar 12
Stroopwafels can also be found at the Loblaws on Rideau street in the natural foods section.

There is a new kind that is made in Canada with maple syrup and one with honey something.
I forget the brand,but I will post next time I go to that store!

It is around $6 for a 6pc box/bag of waffels.

2011 Mar 31
I grew up in Boston, and there are a bunch of Trader Joes there and in surrounding suburbs, as well as in NYC. There are none in Canada, as far as I can tell, but I've heard that the would like to expand.

They pretty much specialize in packaged foods with an all-natural/healthful twist. Not EVERYTHING is all-natural or organic, but a lot of it is, and they definitely have more options than a Loblaws. They have a small, and frankly, pretty terrible produce department and a so-so bakery. What is great is their chips/crackers, nuts, dried fruit, cereal, package mixes/sauces, candy/sweets departments. So, basically, healthier versions of junk food.
Also they have great yogurt and dairy products. A lot of their in-house branded stuff is made from reputable manufacturers. I know that Stoneyfield actually makes their yoghurts for them. And their TJ's "mac and cheese" tastes a hell of a lot like Annie's, and as a pretty similar ingredients list.

I am obsessed with their peanut butter cups, they put reece's to shame. They sell a lot of the same cracker/chip brands as Whole Foods/Herb and Spice, but generally at Loblaws prices. For instance, my friend in Boston was throwing a party, and wanted to put out crackers and cheese. She found the same box of crackers at TJ's for 4 bucks, instead of WF for 6. Pretty big savings. TJ's also has a good basic cheese department, nothing artisinal or really gourmet, but just pretty good and affordable. Delicious marinated mozzerella. And my Mom always buys their cranberry or blueberry crusted goat cheese for Holiday's for dessert. It's a 6 inch log for under 6 bucks. Again, not the best goat cheese you've ever had, but interesting and super yummy.

Sorry for the spiel, I miss my TJs. If you are ever visiting Boston or NYC, stop in and pick up some treats. I would love it if they came to Ottawa.