Looking for Fruit Wood (apple, pear, cherry) [General]

2011 Mar 8
I'll trim or cut down your fruit trees for free if I get to keep the wood (for my smoker)

Cherry will get my highest priority.

I know the proper way to trim fruit trees for better production

2011 Mar 9
Zymurgist - do you use the small branches or just the bigger wood? I am an Ikebana artist, and the smaller branches of fruit trees are highly prized this time of year. Tag team?

2011 Mar 9
zymurgist; you might want to offer your services on Ottawa Plant Cycle as well. Might get more hits from the plant people than the food people? :) Either way I think it might be worth a shot.
groups.yahoo.com and/or facebook.com/plantcycle

If either of you find that you have excess, I would really be interested in some wood chips for smoking as well.

2011 Mar 9
I have a plum tree that could use a good pruning...

ha!

2011 Mar 9
blubarry - I use all sizes but can pass some on to you if you want to help trim

Tiana - would LOVE to trim your prune tree! I will PM you.

live4food - thanks.

2011 Mar 9
bahaha, good one tiana!

2011 Mar 9
What did I miss? Was that a joke?

2011 Mar 9
plums....prunes....

2011 May 16
zymurgist; we are renting but have full run of the garden space. Over the past few years, I have trimmed the Lilac bush so that it no longer affects parking and because it is more tree like than bush like. we have been able to plant below.

There is also an apple tree (pictured) that looks amazing with flowers right now. There is at least one small branch that looks dead to me as there are no leaves or flowers. To me the rest looks like it still could use a trim/shaping. Why? My instincts say its getting too tall (but I could be wrong).

There were a bunch of low limbs that were previously removed and it is a bit lopsided and heavy on one side (there is much tree to the right and over the fence) and light on the other. On the heavy side, there are a few crowded limb areas and I think more airflow (often develops issues) and light would be good for it (and the rest of the garden). I believe less tree could help promote more fruit growth?

Could I invite you by for a drink sometime (lemonade/home brew/whatever) to talk about it? Is it too late for a spring pruning or should it wait till late fall? PM me.

2011 May 16
Wow, and even free beer? Invite me please! I'll PM you.

2011 May 16
If you don't mind the drive, we have acres of apple trees that could handle the loss of some branches. Our other fruit trees are too young for pruning though.

We also have oak, and just about any other tree type you might be interested in. Let me know, and feel free to bring the family if you'd like.