Corned Beef Brisket [General]

2011 Mar 8
Is there a place in Ottawa (preferably somewhere near-ish to Uplands or Algonquin, but not an absolute requirement) where one can buy PROPER corned beef brisket? My husband and I are from Windsor, ON - so it's been easy for us to just hop the border and pick up the divine corned beef briskets from Wigley's in Eastern Market. I've not been pleased with the Maple Leaf "briskets" of corned beef I see in the groceries - nowhere near the proper size. And anything where we have to add seasoning to the cooking water is dubious at best. So, ideas? I'm cooking a divine Wigley's brisket in the crockpot today, however, I'm in Windsor while my corned beef loving husband is in Ottawa, and won't be back here before Easter...

2011 Mar 8
I don't have an answer to your question, but I would like to find a store that sold brisket without the corned beef flavour.
All those great bbq recipes of slow cooked brisket yumm.

2011 Mar 8
I'm pretty sure Lavergne will sell you a brisket - I can ask

2011 Mar 8
I don't know of any place in Ottawa. I get mine at "Quebec Smoked Meat" on Centre street in the Pointe St-Charles area of Montreal. It's essentially the smoked meat brisket without the smoke. It comes in vac seal bags with the brine in it.

2011 Mar 9
Oh, I see you want it already corned, not just the brisket. We sell just the brisket, and we sell smoked meat, but not sure about corned beef. You could call and ask.

2011 Mar 9
Actually zym it is just the brisket I'm looking for. (thanks for the response)The new food and drink has a braised brisket recipe that looks good.
I don't live in Ottawa so tend to buy closer to home. When I go into the city I try to have a list ready.

2011 Mar 10
You should call ahead and get them to set one aside for you. We probably never run out since we make a lot of smoked meat, but you never know.

2011 Mar 11
Thanks folks - I guess we will simply be corning our own beef brisket eventually.

2012 Dec 9
They have corned beef brisket all the time at the Loblaw's at College Square--it's with the kosher meats. However, PRICE ALERT: It's about 25 bucks a kilo. Better bet is to wait until St. Patty's Day, when most supermarkets in town will have it as a seasonal item (not kosher) for about 8 bucks a kilo. Freezes beautifully.

2012 Dec 9
I buy mine at the butchery in Bells Corners, they always have fresh brisket ready to go.

2012 Dec 9
The Charcuterie book has a very easy corned beef brisket recipe in it I made a couple times and was delicious. Any local beef farmer should be able to get you brisket. My local guy has them if you ask before the animal goes in. Also note that the brisket is usually sent through the grinder and the price should be darn cheap.

2012 Dec 10
I used to buy stuff at the butchery in bells corners, until I figured out a 20 minute drive further east would get me the same stuff at half the cost. I can vouch for the briskets from Lavergne, I smoked 5 whole packers from them this summer and picked up 35lbs of pork shoulder on Sunday.