Is whole foods in Ottawa at Lansdowne still on? [General]

2011 Mar 7
Hey does anyone know if the Whole Foods announced last Nov for Lansdown Park is still on?

I got into them while working on 2 projects in California and visited them in Toronto and would love one in Ottawa...

2011 Mar 7
Yes Whole Foods will in fact be opening a store at Lansdowne: wholefoodsmarket.com

2011 Mar 8
Yes they are coming to Ottawa. That is why no other food related business will be able to go to landsdowne , pity because this precludes small businesses from opening there.

2011 Mar 8
Sigh... I'm sure this will get lot's of 'thumbs down', but to me, Whole Foods is just another Walmart. They do little for real organic food, little for local farms, and little for small business.

2011 Mar 8
that is partially true since they are really a supermarket but they have a good prepared food section and I get to try lots of brands / food I have trouble finding elsewhere when I was working in the US in California twice and NJ once..

2011 Mar 8
Looks like a cross between a Farm Boy and a Trader Joes.

2011 Mar 8
Whole Foods is so expensive and such a big store that you have to spend tons of time there just to find your items.

I will most likely still shop at smaller stores that are closer to me.
I only go to Walmart twice a year- usually for house fixing stuff and paint!

2011 Mar 9
I have shopped at whole foods a few times when I've been in the states and have really liked it. I couldn't tell you how much organic/local food they have, but the quality is high (and the prices), and if you don't have the time, or the know how to find local vendors scattered across a strange city, they are a great option, with good takeout too. I much prefer Whole Foods to the local Piggly Wiggly supermarket.

2011 Mar 9
I'm also a fan and shop there a lot when I'm down in the US, but it is expensive and not somewhere that many people would use as an everyday grocery store. It can be thought of as a very large Herb&Spice or Rainbow. I'm hoping it might provide us with access to some quality US cheese that we don't get here currently. The produce is good as are the prepared foods; if I'm travelling alone on business I'll often pick up dinner there. The baked goods and bread are generally pretty ordinary. If the local store is smart they'll do deals with local places like Art-is-in, True Loaf or the French Baker to sell their stuff (like Herb & Spice or the Bagel Shop does currently). Their selection of micro-brew beer is also typically great, which sadly will not be the case here.

2011 Mar 9
yeah when I am traveling on business, sometimes I go and get take out dinner for the evening and pick up some snack food for the week or something for breakfast the hotel do not have...

They are pricier for everyday but sometimes I get some of that weeks special product I have never tried before... some great finds.

2011 Mar 9
I think for cheese with so many stores around it's not something I'd get at Whole Foods.

We have Serious Cheese, Nicastro's/La Bottega,Natural Food Pantry and the farmer's market has 2 cheese vendors :)

2011 Mar 9
uhmm, I like Brie de Meaux and it is somewhat difficult to find and I bought some at the whole foods in NJ.

2011 Mar 9
Try the Nicastro's on Bank or the one on Wellington. They have it at both.

EDIT: I should say that they have had it at both. I make no guarantees that they still will.

2011 Mar 10
I've seen Brie de Meaux at Serious Cheese as well. No idea if they always stock it though.

They must stock it at places across the river in Gatineau. Quebec cheeses are significantly cheaper there too.

2011 Mar 10
and if Whole Foods is too big and intimidating, the Ottawa Farmers' Market will be open just a few steps away...

2011 Mar 10
uhmm would the nicastro on merivale have Brie du Meaux? I lived about 10-20 miles from Meaux for about a year.. Some great food memories there..

Yeah there are some great quebec cheeses..

2011 Mar 10
I don't find Whole Foods "intimdating' just the times I have gone the person I was with hates big stores and I never get to browse around.
But if/when they open I will go to check it out.

I kind of already like the places I shop at for the most part.
if theyhave good hours maybe I'll go there too...