Where to Buy: Baking Pan? [Cooking]

2011 Mar 3
Hi all,

I've been drooling over several recipes now that involve roasting vegetables like broccoli, Brussels sprouts, etc. I think it would be a really tasty way to incorporate more vegetables in the diet, especially those really good-for-you ones that don't always have a lot of dinner appeal.

Anyway, I know nothing about kitchen equipment, so I'd love some pointers as to what kind of pan I should get for this and to where buy it.

Thanks much!

2011 Mar 3
Pyrex never fails IMO. You can get this pretty much anywhere.

2011 Mar 4
The baking pans I use most are called, I believe, "professional half sheets". They are like cookie sheets but have high straight edges, and I have used them to bake brownies, oven roast bacon or vegetables, and generally use them almost every day in the kitchen. You can probably get them at Paradis, but I bought my first ones very cheaply at a second hand restaurant supply place that used to be on merivale, but is no longer. They are almost indestructible, so second hand is not a big deal. I like them because they are strong enough that I can use them under heavy casseroles, ramekins, onion soup bowls etc. and they are more stable when putting them in and out of the oven. Most home baking cookie sheets are too flimsy to do this.

2011 Mar 4
Saurian When I roast vegetables I just use my roasting pan. I like to make do with what I have and it works double duty - I can use it for roasting vegetables AND meat.

This morning I saw Steve Beckta on A Morning braising vegetables in a cast iron pot on the stove top. I really wish I had more room in my kitchen-;)

2011 Mar 4
I think I have the same baking sheets as blubarry does, and they do a really good job. Because the sides are lower than, say, a roaster, it's really easy to get in with a spatula and flip things around. And, yes, you can use them to bake cookies.

But that's not my suggestion! I'm bound and determined to suggest something different.

The other one I use quite often is a Paderno roaster. The lid is great for veggies, while the roaster itself is good for the chicken that you're inevitably making as well.

2011 Mar 4
very smart Momomoto.
I have lots of old baking sheets that are very thin and will warp with the heat in the oven
but I was at Hendrix's and they had the aluminum 1/2 sheets. At the back there was a few dented ones that I got for 1/2 price and I am very happy with these sheets. they clean up well and are very solid.
I did go into Russell restaurant equipment on Preston and bought a peel. $25. at Paridis and $13 there.
Having said that I didn't look at the baking sheets.

2011 Mar 4
I use just any old baking sheet with parchment paper

2011 Mar 4
I like the heavy duty aluminum pans you can get from commercial suppliers like Russell Equipment on Preston.

2011 Mar 4
You got me thinking about roasted vegetables, so here is my pan (I think it's 1/4 sheet pan.
I roasted baby bok choy, sprinkled very lightly with olive oil, at 400'F.
I can't actually remember how long it took, maybe 20 minutes?, the leaves were crispy and the stalks soft and sweet.
This is the first time roasting bok choy and it was delicious IMHO.
Good luck with your roasting.

2011 Mar 5
I am not a huge broccoli fan, but last week I tried roasting it last week with the finecooking.com method for the first time. Delicious.

1 lb. broccoli crowns
1 to 3 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp. kosher salt; more to taste
Freshly ground black pepper
Fresh lemon juice (optional)

Position a rack in the center of the oven and heat the oven to 475° F. Line a heavy-duty rimmed baking sheet with parchment. Trim and peel the broccoli stem; slice it into 1/4-inch-thick disks. Where the stem starts to branch out, split the florets though the stem so that each piece is 1-1/2 to 2 inches wide. In a medium bowl, toss the broccoli with enough of the olive oil to coat generously, the salt, and a few grinds of pepper.

Turn the broccoli out onto the baking sheet and arrange the pieces so that they are evenly spaced. If the pieces cover the baking sheet sparsely, arrange them toward the edges of the baking sheet for the best browning. Roast until the floret tops begin to brown, 8 to 10 minutes. Stir and continue to roast until tender, 3 to 6 minutes.

Return the broccoli florets to the bowl in which you tossed them with the oil, or put them in a clean serving bowl. If they seem a bit dry, drizzle them with a little more oil. Season to taste with salt, pepper, and lemon juice, if using.