Cooking rice [General]

2011 Mar 3
Do any of you have a good method of cooking proper rice? I'm reffering to just good plain white rice. I find there is still too much water in my rice and its not fluffy enough. I make a great curry to go with it but I'd like to perfect the rice.

ps I like using basmati.

2011 Mar 3
Add water and rice to pot bring to a boil, reduce heat and cover Cook for desired amount of time, then remove from heat and let sit for 10 mins or longer. I usually cook the rice then prepare the rest of my dinner so the rice is nice and fluffy.

Also if I'm cooking a lot or I have a lot of stuff on the stove, I use my rice cooker. No issues there.

2011 Mar 3
rice cooker! perfect every time.

Edit to add: I use a steamer with a rice cooker basket.

2011 Mar 3
I forgot to mention something.

I sometimes soak my rice in the water before dinner for an hour or two. By soaking the rice it cooks quicker. I get perfect rice every time that way. I usually only soak my sticky rice, cause it makes it sticker. But it's worth a shot with other rices. Now i only soak if I remember, so usually only on the weekends.

2011 Mar 3
To get what I consider close to perfect basmati, I rinse the rice really, really well, until the water poured off is not cloudy. Then I add enough cold water to cover to my first knuckle of my index finger, which I guess is about 3/4". Then I turn a large burner on the stove to max and place the pot, no lid, on it. When the water/rice is boiling aggressively and forming “craters”, I cover the pot move the pot to a small burner on min, and put a folded towel on top of the lid to help insulate.

After 15min I turn off the burner and let it sit 5 more min. Fluffy, and perfectly cooked every time.

2011 Mar 3
My technique's similar to Tracinho's, except I make sure I add a pinch of salt to the rice and I measure my water out to double the volume of rice.

This works well for the 1/4 to 1/2 a cup of rice we usually make at one time.

If, however, you're cooking large quantities of rice the amount of water you need goes down:

1 cup of rice needs 1.5 cups of water
2 cups of rice needs 2.75 cups of water
3 cups of rice needs 3.5 cups of water

Well, that's what that one episode of Good Eats said.

2011 Mar 3
Thanks for posting the amounts, Momomoto. I've obviously been using too much water as I didn't know the amounts go down with the increase in quantity of rice. Looking forward to trying this.

2011 Mar 3
Just to make sure I understand.

Tracinho..you cover 3/4th of the rice with cold water before you put it on the burner?

And Momomoto...do you cook it the same way..using the stove on high, then low? And you use double the water?

2011 Mar 3
Yup: I add the water before it goes on the burner, crank it on high and, when the rice starts cratering, throw a lid on and turn it down to low (not the lowest setting, but maybe second-from-the-lowest?) Twice the volume of water as rice, if I'm making those small quantities above.

2011 Mar 3
I fill the pot such that the rice is covered by 3/4" of water. Not particularly precise, but perhaps good rice is an art not a science..

2011 Mar 3
My way is similar to momo's except I boil the water (about twice the volume as that of the rice) on its own first, then add salt and the rice and reduce the heat

2011 Mar 3
The way I was taught to make rice is to always wash the rice unless the rice is prewashed and flavoured (from cloudy water to clear water). Than add 3/4 inch of water and cook covered on high till it is bubbling crazily than reduce the temp to low/medium. When all the water is gone have a taste. If still hardish add a bit more water and keep on low/medium. It is always better to have little water than too much water. And if you have too much water.... try draining excess water and continue cooking on low/medium.

2011 Mar 3
You can cook any grain this way - any kind of rice, wheat berries, barley, teff, millet, whatever.

You need to know 2 things - grain to water ratio, time

For most white rices those numbers are :

grain : water -- 1:2
time -- 20 minutes

So for 1 cup of rice add 2 cups of water. Bring to the boil and then stir well, reduce heat to 1, and cover. Time 20 minutes.

Done. Perfectly. Every time.

With brown rice it is more 2.5 to 3 : 1 and 30 to 40 minutes, depending on the rice.

2011 Mar 3
Yeah, we follow the 2:1 formula and it works perfectly. I used to rinse the rice first, but I never noticed any difference if I didn't.

Here is where I differ from everyone else: I use the microwave. It takes about the same amount of time (around 20 minutes), but I've never had it fail on me yet. I put the water and rice and and dribble of oil (or maybe some butter) in a Corningware container with the lid on. I press the RICE button, then START. When the timer is done, it is ready to eat. I paid a lot of money for this microwave and it cooks things just the way I like them. It has a sensor to judge the amount of vapour (I suppose) during cooking, so it knows when to stop. It doesn't matter how much or how little I cook, it's always done right.

I know. I'm a techno-heretic.

Oh, we only use Basmati.

2011 Mar 3
I use jasmine rice, 2 water 1 rice, stove top on low, covered. I skip the rinsing. Fry it a bit when dry with a touch of oil if you want fluffy rice (pilaf)

My born and raised asian wife (who ate rice every day growing up) uses our rice cooker :-/

2011 Mar 3
Thanks for starting this topic IHS, was thinking of doing the same after a rice disaster on the weekend.

In terms of rinsing the rice... how exactly do you do that? If I use my colander too many of the grains get through. I feel like I'm missing something that should be obvious. Please don't be afraid to be specific. :)

Thanks.

2011 Mar 3
@ollie.... you wash the rice in the pot by filling with water and swishing the rice about than pour out the cloudy water being careful to not pour out the rice. Than repeat until the water is clear. Other than swishing the rice to clean you can try grabbing hand fulls of wet rice and than rub the rice between your flat palms....like you would to warm your hands rubbing them together quickly. Rubbing the rice to clean them is when in olden days they may still have some husks still attached and the rubbing motions will help release the husks and dirt.

2011 Mar 3
does anyone know what aged basmati is? i usually buy brown rice, but someone left us a bag of aged basmati. it's fine, more interested than other white rice, but i don't know that it tastes different than regular basmati.

iheart - one thing to consider if your rice is failing, is the pot you are using. i find different pots affect the rice. if the lid doesn't fit tightly, more steam escapes, if it is a very thin material, the water may boil off faster. this is just from my experience using the various pots that have collected at the cottage over the years.

2011 Mar 3
I thought you rinsed the rice because they use talc to keep the rice dry and separate.

2011 Mar 3
I rinse the rice in a strainer under running water. It looks exactly like this one, and it's what I use it for 95% of the time. (The other 5% is straining aromats out of sauces.)

While I haven't heard of them using talc to dry the rice, I have heard that rinsing helps the grains stay separate after cooking, since it washes off excess starch that would otherwise make things stick to one another.

2011 Mar 3
Thanks to all of you. You are the best. :)

2011 Mar 4
Interesting variety of water: rice.
I use 1 and 1/4 cups water per cup of rice. I rinse the rice, then, if I'm cooking basmati, I soak it for 30 minutes or so. I bring it and the water, no salt, to a boil and then reduce the heat and cook it for about 17 minutes.
My favourite part of cooking rice is getting a thin, golden and crisp layer on the bottom of the pot, so no rice cooker for me. Generally I eat that and save most of the rice for reheating.
:)

HFF: I looked up basmati in Seductions of Rice (Alford and Duguid) and it only says it tastes best if the rice is aged for several years (up to 10) before being husked/milled.

2011 Mar 4
Interesting about the soaking before. What do you guys think about that? Does it come out fluffy travelicious?

2011 Mar 4
Lots of interesting variation in rice-cooking methods here! Let me share my favourite recipe for insanely awesome rice. I had a Persian roommate 20 years ago who gave me his family recipe. I've placed it on our wiki: wiki.ottawafoodies.com

It takes some time, but it will be the best part of your meal. Goes really well with Koobideh. :-)

2011 Mar 4
Thanks FreshFoodie. That is how I fell in love with rice too, an Afghan friend use to bring it over and it was amazing, never got the recipe though.

I have a question though...what rice/water ratio do you use? And "Heat until bubbles keep rice on surface" You mean when all the rice comes to the surface? how long that take when water is already boiling? And 2hrs cooking time?

2011 Mar 4
I don't know if this is as good as Fresh Foodie's old roomie's rice but I've made it often and love it with middle eastern dishes. The buttery crisp layer makes this unique. Sometimes I add some chopped fresh dill, sometimes a handful of whole raw pitachios, sometimes both for extra goodness. I use a large nonstick frypan (it eliminates the dipping in cold water to release the rice) and put a clean teatowel on it and cover with a wok lid or Dutch oven lid and make sure to throw the towel ends over the top so they aren't on the burner! Make sure the temp is as low as possible so as not to burn. I cut the rice in wedges carefully in the pan and remove each wedge and flip over so the crispy rice is on top. THe whole thing can also be turned out onto a plate - put a plate over top of the rice and invert pan - the rice should come out of the nonstick pan. This is an Epicuious recipe I think.
Don't be afraid to use a bit more butter (def. not margarine).

PERSIAN RICE WITH GOLDEN CRUST

Tah-dig is the Persian word for the crunchy layer of rice that forms on the bottom of the pan. We think it tastes fantastic.

2 quarts water
2 tablespoons salt
1 1/2 cups long-grain rice (not converted; preferably basmati or jasmine)
3 tablespoons unsalted butter

In a large saucepan bring water with salt to a boil. Add rice and boil 10 minutes. In a colander drain rice and rinse under warm water.

In a 2- to 3-quart nonstick saucepan melt butter. Spoon rice over butter and cover pan with a kitchen towel and a heavy lid. Fold edges of towel up over lid and cook rice over moderately low heat until tender and a crust forms on bottom, 30 to 35 minutes.

Spoon loose rice onto a platter and dip bottom of pan in a large bowl of cold water 30 seconds to loosen tah-dig. Remove tah-dig and serve over rice.

Serves 4 to 6 as a side dish.

2011 Mar 4
iheartsamosa, good questions! Like so many old recipes, there aren't specific answers. How much water? Enough. ;-) Well, let's say at least twice as much as rice. "Heat until bubbles keep rice on surface" means heat until many grains of rice are being pushed up to the surface continuously. This happens when the rice has absorbed just enough water to steam it to perfection.

Andy's recipe looks similar and takes less time. Definitely worth a try! (The delicious crust also forms in my lower and slower recipe.)

2011 Mar 5
I tried again last night with some of these tips in mind. I rinsed the rice in the pot until the water was clear and I used the one that had the tightest fitting lid.

Combined 1 cup basmati rice with 2 cups of water in the pot. Turned burner to high until the water boiled, then reduced to low and covered for 20 minutes. Removed from heat and rested for 5 minutes.

Still mushy.

So should I use less water next time or let it cook longer?

Or maybe I should just take a recommendation for a good rice cooker. ;)

2011 Mar 5
Don't know if it matter but I use heat 1, not low. On my stove 1 is one click above low.

2011 Mar 5
Just get a rice cooker. It hasn't failed my family in 30 years.

2011 Mar 5
Andy.

Isn't 2 quarts of water, 8 cups? 8 cups of water for 1.5 cups of rice? And when you are boiling in saucepan you are boiling for 10minutes using HIGH?

2011 Mar 5
As it's an American version of the recipe you are right iheartsomosas. Just a big pot of water - doesn't have to be exact; you're going to drain it using a sieve. Doesn't need to be on high either, just a good rolling boil that keeps the rice moving. The rice won't be fully cooked after 10 min. - it will finish steaming in the frypan under the tea towel that's covered with the lid. I posted the recipe for you as I thought it would be easier for you to try than FF's - if you do I hope it works for you; or maybe my recipe will give you a better idea how to approach FF's and you can go directly to it. I would like to try FF's as it might be even better.
Whatever you do I strongly suggest using butter, not margarine.

Anybody interested in Thai sticky rice (with coconut sauce and mango) in the microwave? Yup - the easypeasy microwave version?

2011 Mar 5
Yes Andy. Please post the Thai sticky rice lazy version!

2011 Mar 5
Oven. Perfect everytime. 2 cups water or stock, 1 cup rice, pinch of salt in a casserole dish with lid. Cover and bake at 350 for 20-25 min. Adapted from Joy of Cooking. (They saute some onion in the dish first, then add the rice and liquid) When my kids were little I was in a rush, skipped that step and it was great. When it is done I just take it out and let it sit for 5 min or so. But I have been know to let it sit for quite a while and it keeps warm a long time and is still perfectly fine.

2011 Mar 5
blubarry it's not a lazy version, it's for the busy man or woman who likes to cook and eat good food. I'm drooling thinking of this dessert and thinking I should save the mangoes I have to make it again, but alas, they are for tomorrow's butter almond tart that's beeping signalling it's doneness right now.

Adapted from
www.thaitable.com

Thai Mango Sticky Sweet Rice (Khao Niaow Ma Muang)

1 cup Thai white glutinous rice (aka sticky rice, sweet rice, etc.)
1 cup plus 2 Tbs water
1/4 to 1/2 tsp salt (more or less, to taste)

1 or 2 ripe mangoes (Ataulfo recommended), sliced or diced
a couple of Tbs of toasted coconut shreds

Soak the sticky rice for 10 minutes or longer in about 9 oz. of warm water in a large glass bowl (don’t use plastic!). Soaking the rice is very important and must be done. The water level should be just above the rice, which comes out to be 1 cup of rice and a little over 1 cup of water (about 10% more). Cover the bowl with a plate and cook in microwave at full power 3 minutes. Stir the rice around to move the rice from the top to the bottom. You will notice that some of the rice is translucent or cooked and some still has a white center or the uncooked portion.
Heat it up again for another 3 minutes. Check and see if it is done. When cooked, all the rice should be translucent, chewy but not hard. If it needs more cooking, I recommend heating up and checking every minute or so. How long it takes to cook really depends on your microwave. Let rest in the microwave for a few minutes to steam and cool a bit.

Coconut Sauce

400 ml tin coconut milk
2 to 3 Tbs brown sugar, cane sugar or 3 Tbs maple syrup or ginger syrup
pinch or two (~1/8 to 1/4 tsp) of salt
1 tsp corn starch
1/2 tsp vanilla (optional)( use only 1/8 tsp with maple or ginger syrups)

You can use just 250 ml coconut milk if you want less sauce - use or save rest for another purpose (can be frozen); keep other ingredient amounts the same, regardless.
Add coconut milk, sugar, salt, and corn starch to a small saucepan and heat, whisking frequently, until it comes to a gentle boil - do not boil hard or it might separate! Reduce heat and simmer a minute while stirring. Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla if using.

Assembly: The rice is generally served at room temperature or cold, but can be served warm. Some of the hot sauce (up to 3/4 of it) can be poured over the hot rice and allowed to absorb for 5 minutes, then be served right away or allowed to cool; the rice can then be scooped into dishes and served with a spoonful or two of the rewarmed sauce and some mango slices or cubes. Another way (and my favourite) to serve it is to line 4 to 6 ramekins (3 to 6 oz size) or small bowls or containers with plastic wrap and spoon warm rice into each and pack gently in, smoothing the surface; spoon a Tbs or 2 or warm sauce over top and let soak in before wrapping and refrigerating until needed. To serve, warm to room temperature, unwrap and place rice on a plate or in a bowl (if you want the rice warm microwave for about 20+ seconds per plate), spoon warm sauce over and around rice, and serve with some mango, sliced or diced, around the rice and a nice pinch of toasted coconut on top of the rice.

2011 Mar 5
you do need to watch the water to rice ratio depending on the type of rice you are making. Jasmine and Basmati use different ratios - I believe you need to use less water for Jasmine (Jambalaya and Netherworld Dark are clouding my memory). Go with the rice cooker, and don't go for a cheap one.

2011 Mar 6
iheartsamosa: yes, my basmati always comes out with separate grains.

i also soak japanese-style rice if I remember, and use slightly less than 1 and 1/4 cups water per cup of rice.

ollie: try with less water and don't turn the heat right to low after boiling. My stove goes min-1-2-3-med and I usually lower it to 2.

2011 Mar 6
Travelicious

I will do that.

It seems a lot of people use 1.5cups of water to 1cup of rice (using basmati) (for 15mins or so at low after initial boil) And it seems after they boil, all the water is gone. That never happens for me, so that must be why its watery.

If it doesn't work, then will look into a rice cooker. Any suggestions on rice cookers?

And, anybody have good additions to plain rice to make it a meal? I make a good curry but I'd like to have simpler meals too.

2011 Mar 12
Yesterday I tried making rice again with your guys tips and it was very very good.

Thanks guys.

2011 Mar 12
Try just eye balling 3/4 inch of water, boil on high covered until it is rolling boil (lids starts jumping) and reduce to medium low. When the liquid is nearly gone have a taste... if still slightly hard add a tablespoon or two of more water. If the rice is perfect and still some water left.... cook the rest of the rice uncovered so most of the un-needed water evaporates into the air rather than be trapped steaming the rice (still on med/low).

Cooking rice does need some attention but can be left on its own until you hear the rolling boil than reduce heat.... than keep an eye on level of water (every few minutes take a peak and/or taste).

Otherwise do get a rice cooker. I will suggest a rice cooker that has a steaming basket so you can steam veggies while the rice cooks. More ways to get more veggies in the diet.

Another suggestion when you used too much water and the rice has become too mushy... if you have time make a new batch of rice in another pot with lesser water than you originally used on the mushy rice. Don't throw out the mushy rice. Google for a chinese rice porridge(congee) recipe or just play around with what you have. I would add more water to make the porridge. On med/low heat continue to cook the rice with additional cup or two of water. You can add some stock to flavour the congee. The trick here is to give it several stirs every few minutes.... this breaks the rice kernels up and the mixture gets more cloudy and mushy. The time should take no more than 1 hour. You have options of throwing in veggies such as corn, mushrooms and meats and seafood. Basically I would throw in leftovers from the meal. Chop or shred into tiny pieces and add to the porridge and let cook. Congee can be reheated by adding a bit of water so it doesn't evaporate all the liquids.

Here is one site I checked for making congee.
www.homemade-chinese-soups.com