Favourite 'hang-out' pubs/bars? [General]

2011 Mar 3
Hi all,
Wondering-- what's your establishment of choice when you're going out with a few friends for a couple pints/pitchers, and maybe a plate of nachos/misc pub fare, in the Market area (or nearby)?

I've tried a whole bunch but haven't found any one that's really stuck with me. I like Chez Lucien, but going there with a group is a risky proposition for finding a place to sit. Also kind of partial toward the Clocktower for their brews-- decent setting too, though their food isn't much to behold.

Thoughts?

2011 Mar 3
I tend to go to the Cock and Lion on Sparks & Bank. Just a cozy neigbourhood bar with pretty good food.

2011 Mar 3
The Brig, in the Market (they don't have great beer per say, but their food is very decent, the waitresses are pretty, service is casual yet fast, and the vibe is pretty sweet. It's for a younger crowed, I'd say 25-35 ish.)

Pub Italia - Best beer selection in the City. And what could be better than discussing philosophy and theology while drinking a trappist beer underneath a portrait of St. Thomas Aquinas.

The Black Bear (on Bay) - Nothing special. Decent scotch and kitchen. Simple unpretentious Scottish pub. Never packed to the brim, but usually not empty. This is a good hang out spot.

2011 Mar 3
Is The Rochester considered nearby?

2011 Mar 3
momomoto - rochester is considered nearby to me :) maybe we have even been there at the same time. the menu hasn't changed since the day they opened, but the specials are sometimes not bad. i wish he offered more vegetarian options. i've stopped sending people there because they just don't fully appreciate it.

off topic, but if you like the rochester, they you would probably like meadows too, open for breakfast and lunch 7 days a week. cash only.

and while i am off topic, where are you getting your pizza? we order from lorenzo's on adeline, old fashioned, greasy, cheesey goodness. the garlic sauce they offer is way too strong for me, but others really like it.

2011 Mar 3
I love the Rochester. The portobello burger special is yummy, I wish they'd offer it every day!

But that's not really close to the market... so I recommend the Brig or the Clocktower if you find Chez Lucien to be too busy. Or maybe the Earl of Sussex, love those comfy chairs they have! The food is just standard pub fare, nothing gourmet. I find the Clocktower usually has good specials on their menu.

2011 Mar 3
Have you tried Patty Boland's on Clarence? www.pattybolands.com

The drink selection at Vineyards is decent www.vineyards.ca

2011 Mar 3
Avant-Garde is a cool hang out some nights....no kitchen though. good vodka, and absinthe. lafayette.

2011 Mar 3
Great thread but I'm not really a beer drinker. Where is there a good bartender who can still make a decent sidecar?

2011 Mar 3
Blubarry: My brother's really enjoyed the sidecars at Beckta. Granted, if you're at Beckta you're probably not there just for cocktails...

HFF: We usually get our pizza from either Domino's or Pavarazzi's. My wife's less into grease-bomb pizza than I am ;)

2011 Mar 3
Jeff at murray street makes some awesome drinks!

2011 Mar 3
I just had a blast last night at the Fox & Feather on Elgin. Free pool and darts, and the food and drink wasn't all that bad either. I may start going regularly for the darts!

2011 Mar 4
Thanks for all the suggestions-- going to try a few of them out when I'm in their respective areas!
The search continues..

2011 Mar 4
Elmdale House Tavern with
1) Tennesey Willems Pizza from next door
or
2) Curry and Rice (with Samosa) form India Express down the street.

Taps .. Taste ... and Tunz!

2011 Mar 5
I do like the clocktower for the microbrews done on site, especially the red..

I also like Manx on Elgin.