Gluten Free Prepared meals [General]

2011 Mar 1
Hi - I'd like to bring a meal(s) over to a friend who is pregnant and also has food allergies/sensitivities. Does anyone have any suggestions where I can buy fresh or frozen Gluten Free main courses that she can keep in the fridge/freezer and then heat up. Something like a pie/quiche ... looking for low sugar as well ... somewhere like the wild oat or Trillium Bakery.

2011 Mar 1
not sure about the gluten free thing, but red apron has lots of great prepared meals. Good soups and main courses, some already frozen, some fresh and refrigerated.
redapron.ca/

2011 Mar 1
flexie Rainbow Foods carries several lines of gluten free frozen dinners. I remember them having samples out on a visit there late last summer. Also Rainbow Foods offers half hour store tours on Saturday afternoons for those with gluten allergies. Copied and pasted from their website:

Rainbow Foods offers ½ hour store tours Saturdays between 1:30 and 4:30 for people who are celiac or gluten intolerant. Individual or group tours can be booked in person at Customer Service or by phone at (613)726-9200.

2011 Mar 1
Check out Credible-edibles www.credible-edibles.ca. She doesn't have prepared meals per-say, but I'm sure she could put something together for you.

2011 Mar 1
I saw prepared gluten-free meals in a cooler at the back of the Glebe Metro.

2011 Mar 2
I read an article in the Ottawa Magazine that mentioned a place called Scratch Kitchen.....I had been looking for a place that will deliver meals to my dad as he is older and not interested in cooking anymore, but we wanted something a bit more upscale than Meals on Wheels.

I just went on their site and noticed that they have symbols next to each dish and some are listed as Gluten-Free.

The meals sound really delicious and they have a frozen sampler of 13 different single meals for $75.

I believe this article also said that these meals are sold at the Glebe Metro so these may be the ones that Caperbeachgal mentions above.

scratchkitchen.com/

2011 Mar 2
Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. I live in West Wellington and have been meaning to try credible edibles - I think I'll try it for lunch one day when the weather warms up and I can walk there. So many other great suggestions, Red Apron, Rainbow Food, Loed in the Gleve! I've decided to get my friend a gift certificate for scratch kitchen that way she can pick individuals means for one or "family" 4 person sized servings. I think she'll be excited to see so many gluten free options! We do have some great food choices in Ottawa! I'm going to start a new thread about Red Velvet Cake - I'm planning to make this for my kids birhtday over the weekend - I have twins and they're turning 2!

2011 Mar 2
flexie On one of my field trips to Rainbow Foods last year they seemed to be having a gluten free day - gluten free breads, gluten free meals, etc. I was just there to pick up a few groceries so I sampled a few meals while there. I didn't make a point of jotting down names since I do not have a gluten intolerance. I am kicking myself now because some of the frozen dinner samples they were offering were REALLY good! And others made good suggestions - I completely forgot about Credible Edibles and I didn't realize Loeb Glebe and the Red Apron have gluten free products. I love ottawafoodies!