New York Strip (Steak talk in general) [General]

2011 Feb 28
Hi all,

Just wondering, do you remove the strip of fat from a new york strip? I'm from Alberta and I know that the steakhouses there leave a small part of the strip on that cut.

And, what's a good place to get some dry age steaks. I know Aubrey's but sometimes they can get pricey and they don't have it all the time.

2011 Mar 1
Brians Butchery, Manotick Village Butchers have come highly recommended. I think you need to phone ahead to both, to insure you get what you want. Stittsville Meat Market also dry ages.

As per the fat - I leave it on, but depending on how thick it is I score it so the steak won't curl when it cooks.

2011 Mar 1
Yup, I mirror Sourdough's comments to a T. Brian's Butchery for dry-aged steak, keep the fat on but score it so it doesn't curl.

I figure the fat cap melts and adds a bit of flavour to the steak while it's cooking, and you can always cut it off when it's on your plate.

2011 Mar 1
Thanks guys.

I'm gonna hit up some of those places on the weekend.

On that steak thing, I went to a place called 'Steak' in the byward market (I'm not entirely sure of the name). I was pretty weirded out when they gave me my new york strip without the strip of fat. I gotta say, although their name suggests that they have good steaks, I wouldn't recommend them at all for steaks. I ask for medium rare but I got a medium steak. Although my friend tells me that it's an Ottawa thing, and told me that I was expecting a 'Montreal' medium rare. Dunno 'bout that.

2011 Mar 1
Manotick Village Butcher will dry age for you. Call first depending on how old you want you meat. A good restaurant steak at a fair price is pretty rare in these parts. If you ever get state side in Watertown at Texas Roadhouse you can get a 16oz rib steak and two sides unlimited bread and all the peanuts you can eat for $17.99.