Lodge Enamelled Cast Iron. [General]

2011 Feb 27
Following a recommendation from Cook's Illustrated, I bought this 6qt enamelled cast iron dutch oven 2 years ago at walmart in Massena NY for $49.95. Still the same price on their website. I also have Le Creuset, and this one is probably 99% as good for a fraction of the price. Until recently I hadn't seen the enamelled Lodge product anywhere in Canada, but I did notice it last week at Paradis for around $180. I'd like to buy more of it in other sizes, and I don't mind paying a premium to buy it in Ottawa, but that is a scary markup. Has anyone seen Lodge enamelled in Ottawa at a better price?

2011 Feb 27
I haven't seen these for sale in Ottawa but you can order them from amazon.com
www.amazon.com

2011 Feb 27
$175 is Canadian MSRP for this 6qt.

I see Amazon/Walmart online sells it for $49.00 in the US - that is insanely inexpensive - less than half Canadian retailers COST. You'd be better served ordering it from Amazon online, as Sadie mentioned above, and having them shipped to Canada.. $100 with all duty and stuff included.

2011 Feb 28
thanks kitchenvirtue, It is scary that the retailers cost here is so much higher! Lodge is not doing themselves any favors in the Canadian market. What's up with that? I can pick it up at walmart in oggie with no shipping charge, and even with taxes, tolls and gas it will still be less than $100. And I can make a side trip to pick up some Amish baked goods while I'm there.

2011 Feb 28
No idea. I assume they blame the logistics costs due to weight of cast, etc.

The enamel cast is made in China, so you have to add I think 7% for duty as well.

So your total price is $49 + 4$ NY tax, + 4$ duty + HST. Pretty good deal vs buying local, unfortunately

2011 May 15
If anyone is interested, I finally sourced some Lodge Enameled Cast at more competitive pricing.

Dutch oven 6qt Blue - $79.95 vs $56.40 on Amazon US
Dutch oven 7.5qt Red - $98.95 vs $89.99 on Amazon US

I don't have a lot of them, but we should be carrying them regularly. We have a few different models as well so message me if you're interested.

2011 May 15
Now go source a cheap cast iron wok. :)

(First time on your site and I've noticed that you're the guy from RB Computing, nice, I'll definitely browse your site)

2011 May 15
mart - thanks. which wok are you looking at? the lodge pro logic unit?

2011 May 15
mart - thanks. which wok are you looking at? the lodge pro logic unit?

2011 May 15
Hmm.. I just did a bit more digging and it turns out that the work doesn't have to be cast iron. Any 14 or 16" round bottom would do.. it's for a "spider" that fits in my big green egg.

www.ceramicgrillstore.com

That doesn't change the fact that I'll definitely browse your website though, lots of cool stuff there!