The Atlantic: The Moral Crusade Against Foodies [General]

2011 Feb 22
Sorry if this was posted already but The Atlantic had a comical, yet harsh criticism of foodie culture. My favorite part of the article is when the author talks about the writing habits of foodies, calling it "pomposity and sermonizing." Here is the excerpt:

Even if gourmets’ rejection of factory farms and fast food is largely motivated by their traditional elitism, it has left them, for the first time in the history of their community, feeling more moral, spiritual even, than the man on the street. Food writing reflects the change. Since the late 1990s, the guilty smirkiness that once marked its default style has been losing ever more ground to pomposity and sermonizing. References to cooks as “gods,” to restaurants as “temples,” to biting into “heaven,” etc., used to be meant as jokes, even if the compulsive recourse to religious language always betrayed a certain guilt about the stomach-driven life. Now the equation of eating with worship is often made with a straight face. The mood at a dinner table depends on the quality of food served; if culinary perfection is achieved, the meal becomes downright holy—as we learned from Pollan’s The Omnivore’s Dilemma (2006), in which a pork dinner is described as feeling “like a ceremony … a secular seder."

Interesting and funny read, even if you don't agree with the author (who I think is being a little tongue-in-cheek).

www.theatlantic.com

2011 Feb 22
That's gourmets not foodies.

Gourmets fall asleep during sex for goodness sakes!

2011 Feb 24
Not if there's food involved they don't.

2011 Feb 24
"Oh. Did I just see you put aerosol whipped cream on your uh... cupcakes? I'm sorry, I have to leave now. I prefer to beat my own. With a little vanilla."

"It was nice of you to put poutine on your patootie, but you used canned gravy! I was hoping for something a little more... ducky."

See, gourmets take the fun out! ;-)