Please Help: 1-Minute Food Survey [General]

2011 Feb 21
Hello Everyone!

Can you spare a minute to fill out an anonymous online survey on your food dollars and food values? This survey is part of a market research for a course in the Green Business Management program at Algonquin College.

Specifically, we are conducting market research for an already established business. This survey will help this business get a pulse on how Ottawatonians spend their food dollars and what you really care about.. food related :).

www.surveymonkey.com/s/FFYKBH7

Thank you!!

2011 Feb 22
Done! Took less than a minute.

2011 Feb 22
done... quick and easy!

2011 Feb 22
Done - hopefully we can see the overall results !!!

2011 Feb 22
Done

2011 Feb 22
Done. I don't live in Ottawa, but I do get to the big city on a regular basis.

2011 Feb 22
Done

2011 Feb 22
Done

2011 Feb 22
Awesome! Thanks guys and gals.
I will post back with the results as soon as we crunch the numbers.

2011 Mar 2
Results as promised! We had 75 participants in total.

Gender? 51% Female & 49% Male

Age? 32% of respondents were 18-25 years old, 22% of respondents were 26-31 years old, 8% of respondents were 31-40 years old, 22% of respondents were 41-50 years old, 15% of respondents were 51-64 years old, and 1% were over 65 years of age.

Do you live in Ottawa? 72% said yes, 28% no

What you do value most? Very evenly spread across the board—all answers were 20%,21% or 22% (cheapest, organic, dietary, other) except for local which trailed with 16%.

What percentage do you spend in a month on: restaurant, take-out, groceries, prepared meals? Almost equal quarters with 26% to restaurants and take-out, 27% to groceries and prepared meals trailing with 21%
How many times have you used catering this year?

Catering in the last 12 months? Only 19% have used catering.

Are you interested in cooking classes / a cooking workshop for healthy foods?
14% say yes, and 49% are ‘somewhat interested’, with 9% as ‘unsure’ and 11% as ‘not interested’ and 17% say a definite ‘no.’ There is potential for 71% total that is either ‘yes’, ‘somewhat interested’ or ‘not sure’. Perhaps with more info the 14% definite ‘yes’ can become closer to the 71% potential

That's it. Thanks again for participating and hopefully you enjoy seeing the results.

2011 Mar 3
WOW.

As iI read it:

Food Dollars/Budget

26% Restaurants
26% Take-out
21% Prepared Meals
27% Groceries

Age and sex demographics pretty even (except a dip in the 31-40 age group).

I find it suprising that that approx 3/4 of food dollars is spent on food NOT prepared by the consumer/eater.

I would like to see the income/socio-economic demograph of the sample.

I realise grocery money goes farther than restaraunt/take-out/prepared food dollars ... but ... I must be a misfit ... I can't afford to spend 3/4 of my food dollars on non-groceries ... I would suffer from mal-nutrition.

How about you Ottawa Foodies?

Do you spend 3/4 of your food dollars on restaraunt/take-out/prepared food ?

2011 Mar 3
Working for StatsCan and doing a lot of off-hours survey work myself, I have to call a certain amount of 'shinanegans' on the process.

This kind of survey is good for getting some really broad numbers, and I'd say that the percentage of variance is going to be quite high. The population of the survey isn't very spread out, so you are only going to be getting a very narrow subset to work within.

The numbers are interesting, but hardly representative.

2011 Mar 5
Well, were most of the 75 people from this site? If so that sample might be a little biased lol. A site for Ottawa Foodies are not necessarily representative of the general population. Foodies tend to like to eat out lol.

2011 Mar 7
I would have to agree with Captain Caper and Rizak here. As far as I am concerned there is a correlation between income and the amount we spend on groceries vs. take-out meals. (I can't afford to spend 75% of my food dollars on non groceries either, Captain.-;)

Having said that the survey does use some pretty broad numbers and, as an employee of a research shop, I can see how numbers can easily be skewed one way or another to support an argument.

2011 Mar 9
Done !