$4 romaine [General]

2011 Feb 20
i went to buy some romaine for tonight and it was $4 for a tiny one at loblaws. i've obviously missed something in the news, what gives? i bought cabbage instead and will make a different salad.

2011 Feb 20
At Farm Boy it is cheaper.
Loblaws is always a ripoff esp in the winter.

Cedars grocery also has better prices,I think around $2 for lettuce and I've seen coolard greens for under $2 last week.

Th red and colored peppers at Loblaws are a crazy price too like $3.99 a lb, Cedars lately the red peppers have been $1.49-2 a lb and same for Farm Boy.

Unless you are not near a Farm Boy or something.
I also find the quality of Loblaws Elmavale for veggies sucks, and Loblaws at Billings kind of sucks too.

Foodbasics is ok usually and has good prices,but sometimes the vegetables are a broken mess when I go there.

2011 Feb 21
prettytasty - the signs indicated the rise in price isn't going to be limited to loblaws. it is do to supply. i just haven't been able to find what the supply issue is. loblaws must be the biggest importer of produce, so unless some of the indepenants are getting it in from other resources everyone is going to see a price increase (maybe stores will push the increase onto a different area?). anyway it was tomatoes too. all i could see online was wendy's burger chain was no longer putting tomatoes on burgers due to the cost. i'll try googling again.

2011 Feb 21
i found this, but nothing on our 'real' news...

"Romaine lettuce was $20 a case last week. This week it's $40.
"And they're saying it could go upwards of $65, $70 a case," Mayer said."

www.wkyt.com

2011 Feb 21
I also recognized the abhorent prices and quality of fresh produce when picking up fruit and veg yesterday at my grocery store. Part of this is my fault for leaving that kind of fresh shopping until a Sunday before a holiday, but nevertheless it is a tough time of year particularly if you are trying to keep your cooking somewhat seasonal/Canadian. I ended up with some swiss chard, squash, mushrooms, on sale red peppers and citrus, largely because I have trouble paying 4$ for mediocre lettuce, broccoli and cauliflower, among others.

2011 Feb 22
Guess I should have been a bit more clear!

I find the prices at Loblaws for produce are always much higher than other stores-even if there is a shortage or no shortage their prices for produce are always crazy there.

Like Loblaws/Independent even in the summer I think they were selling a 4pk colored peppers for $7 when local produce is much less.
But I guess if your peppers are nicely wrapped in celophane and peoples "dirty paws" have not been all over them...it is worth that extra $5 ;)

I think if I want really mediocre cheap vegetables- Farm Boy always has a shelf with discounted veggies- a lot of them still look fine (saw some decent eggplants there sunday).
I haven't bought anything from the Farm Boy discounted shelf-but I have to add some of the discounted produce looked much better then what Foodbasics and some Loblaws have been carrying lately.

2011 Feb 22
Hi, you can find these prices on flyeronfire.com, it includes many grocery stores across Ottawa !

2011 Mar 5
hipfunkyfun,

The reason is due to the freeze in the US at places like Florida where a lot of our stuff comes from.

hopefully in a few weeks supplies from other places would kick in.

I often go to farmboy or St. Laurant fruit and vegetables for my fruits and veggies.. Red pepper for example is $1.19 at St. Laurant fruit and vegetables this week so bought about 8 pounds for some roasted red pepper as well as general cooking but last few weeks tend to be able to find them at 1.59 or 1.99 vs 2.99 or 3.99 at general supermarkets.

2011 Mar 6
For the Francophones on this site.

La Semaine Verte on Radio-Canada (ch. 5) has a special on price fluctuations and other issues related to our international food distribution system today at 12:30pm...

2011 Mar 6
I was just at Cedar's and Co on Bank st and all the colored peppers are $1.99lb
But a lot of the peppers did not look so great.
there were also some bagged and no so good looking peppers on a table by the cash...selling for $1.50 for 3...good for roasting or whatever...not so good in a salad I think.

Fresh spinach at Cedar's was $1.99lb, lettuces seemed to be around $2.49or a bit less.
Green beans were $2.49lb, colored organic carrots-product of Canada was $2.49lb-these are the fancier colored carrots-purple,yellow and reddish!