Food and Wine pairing [General]

2011 Feb 19
I think this forum is amazing for hearing about new restos, foods, events and insightful reviews, thoughts and tips. I saw a few topics posted on food and wine pairing. Might be interesting to add in addition to the "booze" category a food/wine pairing tab or topic?

What are some of your favourite wines? or favourite food and wine/or other drink pairing?

Here's an neat link that may be of interest as well:
www.nataliemaclean.com

Cheers!

2011 Feb 20
Here are three broad classes of wine that I could not be without. They are from Niagara because I have a severe inferiority complex and think that Canada can compete on the world stage with these wines, if only we produced enough of it to export and people would just listen to us ;)

This also has the sad side-effect that a lot of my recommendations are usually only available through the winery, or the once-off Vintages releases.

That reminds me, I never did a write-up for last year's wine tour. I should address that...

1. Dry Riesling: Works well on its own or with all manner of food (although I usually stick to seafood or poultry). Mouthwatering acidity balanced with sweetness, in a way that isn't cloying like the Rieslings everybody is thinking of when they say they don't like Riesling. Bright citrus flavours and this feeling of minerality that I liken to wet slate.

Recommendations: Anything from Thirty Bench, Cave Spring, or Flat Rock. The $18 Cave Spring Reserve Riesling is general list at the LCBO and worth every penny. Vineland Estates makes great off-dry Rieslings. Stratus and Charles Baker Rieslings are stunning.

2. Gamay: Again, something that works well with lots of food (although I usually stick to pork, red-sauced pastas, poultry, appetizers, snacks, tapas, burgers, and BBQ.) Bright berry flavours, low-tannin, fairly high acidity, and often this interesting peppery/brambly undertone that perks everything up.

Recommendations: Henry of Pelham does great Gamay, and so do 13th Street, Malivoire, and Château des Charmes. Actually, Château des Charmes is (if I remember correctly) the only grower in Canada that has secured plant breeders' rights on a specific clone of Gamay that they call "Gamay Droit."

3. Cabernet Franc: This one's a bit trickier. Given Canada's relatively cool climate, Cab Franc can either do really well or not well at all. (This cool climate is also why there aren't very many good Cabernet Sauvignons from Ontario.) When it's done right, though, it's wonderful. Lots of dark fruit, good tannins, great acidity, and a pleasant herbaceousness that tastes like it was meant to be there, rather than being a fault. Great for grilled veggies, or a mean steak. This is one of my go-to wines for steak frites.

Recommendations: I'm less confident in my recommendations, because I usually stick to the producers I know and availability may be tricky. Stratus usually releases a single-varietal Cabernet Franc that is totally badass. Cave Spring and Vineland make great ones, and every so often Thirty Bench releases a "small lot" offering.

So if anybody's had any good Ontario Cab Franc recently, I'd love to hear about it!