Pulled pork - pull it when cold? [Cooking]

2011 Feb 17
I took advantage of the warm weather today to put a pork shoulder on the bbq - woo-hoo. I've never bbq'd while at work before and was happy to find the garage and house still standing when I got home. I'm planning on having it for company tomorrow night (I was just informed) and wonder if it's OK to wait until tomorrow to pull it when cold or should I do it tonight while still warm? Advice appreciated!

2011 Feb 17
I wouldn't shred it when cold, I'd let it rest for about 40 minutes and then shred it apart.

2011 Feb 17
Thanks Chimichimi, I think I'll take your advice and shred warm. I assume it will be easier than doing it cold.

2011 Feb 17
I know this might be too late but warm is always best. Hot or too warm can be painful too cold ie. waiting till the next day and you could be tearing instead of pulling. Not as good texturally.

2011 Feb 17
live4food I was kinda hoping someone would say that it could easily be pulled the next day when cold but not surprised that such is not the case. An afterthought I had was could it be cooled whole, refrigerated overnight then reheated and pulled the next night - too much trouble so I did pull it warm, and it was easy, pink and tasty, and is now packed away in a pot to be reheated for some added family company tomorrow night with some curido I made.
Thanks for the added confirmation.

2011 Feb 18
The Ribfeste people always pull it warm and then soak it in more sauce.

And we love them for it.

2011 Feb 18
I agree, more sauce needs to be added after. Take advantage of all that surface area soakage. But yeah, pull after rested, but not cold.

2011 Feb 18
Ya, pull when warm. It was the easiest pull so far, and omg good tonight, warmed with just a couple spoons of added sauce, but with a couple more spoons of warmed sauce on each stack of meat piled on a bun when served. OMG good! And I liked the curido better than the mayo coleslaw I've served pulled pork with in the past.
Note to self: don't ever do a single roast again; must do 2!