Kefir Milk Grains [General]

2011 Feb 15
I was wondering if anyone has any extra Kefir Milk grains to sale or knows a good source for kefir milk grains.

I'm looking a making kefir with 1/2 milk and 1/2 rice milk.

Thanks

2011 Feb 15
I used to have some and kept them in the freezer between uses so they wouldn't die. Then I think they got thrown out during a house move...

I'm also curious to know where to get these! As far as I know, the stores only sell powdered kefir starter. Is it possible to use that and then keep the "grains" alive thereafter??

2011 Feb 15
I heard the starter is only good for up to 7 times. And it contains milk powder. I eventually want to make my kefir with just rice milk, since I'm not really allowed too much diary and no soy what's so ever. But I plan on culturing in milk once a week to ensure proper grain growth.
Diet restrictions for being a dialysis patient.

2011 Feb 15
I have grains. Way better than starter. If you want I can bring some to Ottawa when I'm at the market this weekend.

2011 Feb 19
I am also looking for kefir milk grains, to make with goat's milk (no cow's milk for me either I'm afraid.)
Many thanks to anyone with leads.

2011 Mar 6
Hey guys, check out Lacomca Deli for various Kefir products. I can't promise they have grains, but they do have ready to serve kefir, and various jars and things labeled kefir in the fridge.

Now if anyone can tell me where I can buy Kefir (ready to serve is fine!) in Orleans I'd be grateful. I'm happy with the Elwest product (which can be found at Lacoma) elwest.ca/ - Lacomca is quite a way out of the way for me.

2012 Feb 27
The kombucha thread reminded me of this one - I've got kefir grains if anyone wants some. The ones I have are from a mennonite family and are supposed to have been passed down quite a few generations. They are REALLY good even if that story is not true :-)