Shroomin' [General]

2011 Feb 11
Hi All,

It was brought to my attention that there wild mushrooms (Chanterelles) growing on my cottage property. Anyone out there pick mushroom on a regular basis and know what they are looking for? Are there any groups in and around the city one could join to learn more.

Cheers
Short Rib

2011 Feb 11
Short Rib - I can definitely help you identify any mushrooms growing on your property. I pick on a regular basis, so... yeah! I don't organize groups to go foraging, logistics are too complicated with large numbers of people and I don't want people overpicking my spots or ruining the habitat for future growth. There's an amateur mycology group on the QC side, I haven't dealt with them but I hear they are collectively very knowledgeable. Don't hesitate to contact me directly through this website if you have any questions.

2011 Feb 11
Short Rib A couple of groups are mentioned here: Forum - Hunters and Gatherers.. You might get a few leads in that thread. Happy foraging!

2011 Feb 16
Thanks for the info.

Chimi I will be sure to take you up on that offer. Thanks so much! It is just too bad we are still so far away from mushroom season.

Cheers

2011 Feb 16
Yes, we're still a few months away for morel mushrooms, those are the start of the season pretty much... pick ramps with those, garlic mustard, other edibles... have a look around your property in early/mid-May

2011 Mar 5
I used to go picking with friends but I am a complete novice... The good thing about France is that you can take mushrooms to any pharmacy for identification... Any similar stuff around Ottawa or am I dreaming in hoping to find something?