Charging for hot water [General]

2011 Feb 1
It's been twice now where a restaurant charges for a mug of hot water. What gives!?!? They charge it the same as a tea. This is not cool.

It's rare but it does happen. The first time it happened, I only realized when I saw the bill. I argued it and the server said she would absorb the cost since she didn't want her customers to be unhappy. This is well and fine but she really shouldn't have be pay out of pocket but at the same time I refuse to pay for hot water. The second time I was told I would be charged so I changed my order. At least I was given advance warning.

For certain people it's culture-driven, where they only consume hot beverages as it's thought to be good for the body and digestion and where a tea is not what they want. Whatever the reasons a person wants hot water, the fact is water is water, hot or cold. I don't think it's right for restaurants to charge. In fact it's outright ridiculous.

2011 Feb 1
I haven't been charged anywhere yet.

But at Second cup in Bayshore I was refused a glass of ice water after spending $6 there this summer.
It was 30 degrees out and I had to take the bus and wanted ice to cool off,offered to pay for the plastic cup even and was refused?

I ended up leaving my cupcake (that was already packaged) and other items at the cash and told the cashier I was going to go to a store that would let me get ice water if I bought something.

Many other times at other places in the mall or coffee places I have never been refused that when buying something.
Timothy's coffee is very nice for that and so is Booster Juice :)

I also find it ridiculous that the waitress would be charged for hot water?
Does not seem that possible.

2011 Feb 1
Restaurants do, however, charge for cold water, especially in Europe. My standard is that if you don't charge for cold water, you shouldn't be charging for hot.

I think often, it's a matter of how it's phrased. Ordering hot water, versus asking if it would be any trouble or if there would be any charge for it? Place the onus on them, perhaps? If they don't have a coffee carafe on the go, then chances are, there is some effort and labour involved and that's why they're more resistant and inclined to charge for it.

2011 Feb 2
I did not know that about charging for cold water in Europe.
Have not been to Europe yet!

2011 Feb 2
Hot water as a beverage should be provided at the same cost (or no cost) as a glass of tap water. But I have seen diners in restaurants add ramen noodles, hot chocolate powder, tea bags, even soup mix to "free" hot water. This would definitely piss me off if I owned the restaurant, and I would probably add a charge to their bill.

2011 Feb 3
Ramen noodles? really!
That is a bit much.

The only time I have added stuff to my water like soup,tea,coffee ect is at an airport.
Quite a few times I find there is nothing I want to eat or no time left to wait in a line and I don't want a oily soup either.

I know when Nates was open they used to charge for jam?
and some condiments that surprized me too as one waiter there never charged me and some new lady did.

2011 Feb 3
hot water costs money to produce, why shouldn't a restaurant/business owner charge for it, especially if thats all is asked for. Also, depends on the attitude of the customer and what they want it for. We always give hot water for people to warm baby bottles up. However, it amazes us when people with babies aren't more prepared when going out.
UK fast food outlets charge for packets of ketchup.

2011 Feb 3
There's enough stuff to carry around with a baby let alone a thermos for warm water...

2011 Feb 3
It's a difficult question and I don't think there's an easy answer. Cold water (and especially ice cubes) aren't free to produce or serve, yet we expect them to be given without charge -- sometimes even with a wedge of lemon!

Hot water is even more tricky because it might need to be heated on demand rather than kept hot. Personally, I would never fault a restaurant for charging me a small fee for hot water. That said, I would likely tip more if they didn't.

2011 Feb 3
Why wouldn't you simply ask for a glass of hot tap water if you really don't want to incur the risk of paying a dollar or so?

2011 Feb 3
My biggest annoyance as as server are people that tip poorly after ordering no-cost beverages - even though it takes just as much work to get your hot water as is does to make a hot-chocolate.

I know our restaurant doesn't charge for water/hot water on a normal day.
Yet, on something like a UFC fight where people insist on sitting for hours expecting free refills on their one coke, we charge for water - selling bottled water only.

Also, you would really be surprised on the amount of people who bring in crystal light packages, tea bags, instant coffee etc. when you give them "free" hot water.

I guess the saying goes its always one person who ruins it for everyone else.

Tip well when you buy nothing but water, and the server may skip the charge, if it is at their discretion. Most people who order just a hot water, also send you running back to the kitchen to refill it many times - which is just annoying when you really aren't paying for anything!!

I feel like I have more to say, but my mind is drawing a blank - I need a coffee!