bag of frozen chicken [General]

2011 Jan 23
I was on Somerset, not as far down as Kowloons.
Lim Bankok grocery had frozen bags of chicken carcass for $1.
I was in a bit of a hurry, so only glanced around inside, but I think they also had fish heads other than salmon.
they also had banana leafs. These were outside and so they were frozen, but I'll keep this in mind for the summer. I have read some recipes that wrap food in banana leafs.

2011 Jan 23
What do you mean by chicken carcass?
like a whole frozen chicken?

$1 is really cheap.
lately I was buying chicken at the farmers market and it is a lot more than that.

2011 Jan 23
No, what is left over after they cut all the meat off. Still a lot of meat on there. See my videos here

urbanhippy.ca/chicken/broth

2011 Jan 26
Zy- I did similarly and I too canned them. It is more work but it doesn't take up our precious and tiny freezer space.

As a heads up. They often sell bags of bones at the Green grocery. Beef/pork/chicken. The Asian supermarket on Montreal Road between N. River Rd. & Montgomery St. (just over the bridge).

2011 Jan 26
I'm reading this thread at the same time as canning three roosters and an old laying hen. Wager these three birds cost me more than a buck each to raise, but when I'm done with them, they will taste like a million bucks. lol! Sure smells good.

I'm with you, live4food & zymurgist, the extra work canning is worth the extra freezer space! I also love having these jars of ready to use (healthy, local & organic) food in the cupboard on those busy summer days when I realize I've not thawed anything for supper.

Oh, and so as to not diverge from the original post, fish heads and tails are great for stock. yum! Haven't got a clue what to do with banana leaves though.

2011 Jan 27
Here is my thought process for the banana leaves.
Earlier in the day I had bought a paella pan for $15. That got me thinking about making a fire pit in the summer and cooking the paella over a fire.
Then I started thinking about bbq. I had seen some recipes for food wrapped in banana leaves and put under the pit or on the bbq so thought I would include that in what was for sale at the store.

Isn't this everyone's thought process?

My sad story for canning, when I was a young girl my Mom had a pressure cooker. It did not look anything like zym's video. It had the lid, gasket and some kind of metal thing that went over a hole in the lid.
My sister and I were making popcorn and for fun I put the metal thing on the lid. Then my sister told me to "take the lid off, and it will probably explode!"
Very trepidatiously (sp?) I removed the metal thing then lid. nothing did happen, but I am terrified of pressure cookers.

So I freeze my stock and I still love my sister.

2011 Jan 27
the metal thing is called a "pet cock"

2011 Jan 27
Don't touch this one Captain ...

2011 Jan 27
tee hee!

2011 Jan 31
Not to hijack but Super C has bags of frozen chicken breast for $10. Quite a large bag to boot.