New Lebanese Restaurant in the Glebe [General]

2011 Jan 18
Anyone know anything about Naji's Lebanese restaurant, a new place in the Glebe at 753 Bank St?
I have seen the space papered up with a sign saying "Coming Soon" for several months now and am anxious to try something new in my neighbourhood that maybe, just maybe, will be more than just another ubiquitous falafel joint and will also have something to offer beyond what Jericho's across the street already has. I'd love to see a finer offering of Lebanese food in Ottawa with specific regional specialties.

2011 Jan 18
There was a few fancier Middle Eastern places before, but they went out of business.

Cedar's grocery store has a food counter and some items I have not seen at the fast food shawarma counters.

They make chicken and beef brochettes on a grill in the store.
It is around $15 with tax for a platter as is enough food for 2 people.
The two times I ordered the chicken platter it was almost impossible to close the container.
-it takes around 20 minutes to cook your food as it is made to order.

Cedars also has a eggplant salad with onion,garlic and green or red pepper and vinegar.
I do not know the name of it,but I usually make my own (theirs is very good though).

For different middle eastern pastries if you go to Malak pastry on the weekend they have some special pastries filled with thick cream, they also make a cake with Tumeric? or a yellow spice and that has cashews on top.
Not sure of the name,but it is tasty.
Malak also makes some arabic ice creams I have not seen anywhere else.
They use some kind of balsam or pine gum from Lebanon (was speaking to the owner a while ago....am going there thurs for my mother...she ordered a bunch of ice creams)

There is also this kind of middle eastern breakfast thing a friend was telling me about.
It is like a semonlina pastry with cheese in the middle, and this is eaten is a sesame flatbread kind of bun that is heated up and you can pour some syrup on that.
I tried that once and it is different.
(I do not like cheese in pastries...so not my thing).
But it was tasty to try.

2011 Jan 19
Cedar's lebanese takeaway (the food counter at the back, not the shawarma counter at the side) is fantastic. And they do this $11.99 package that involves more food than mere humans should be able to eat. And if you spot a tray of kibbee (kehbe? kaybay? those balls of seasoned wheat around minced meat thingies...) GRAB THEM. Unless i'm there in which case get the hell out of my way or i take no responsibility for your subsequent injuries.

I really like Jericho actually. The food is always good and the look of the place is just plain unique with all the stained glass.

Malak's bakery is just wrong (in the best way possible) and i think they spike the baking smells with cocaine. There's another Lebanese bakery opposite the Subway further south on Bank but it's just not as addictively awesome (decent ice cream tho').

All that said, I'm really psyched for Naji's. In my never so humble opinion high end lebanese food in Ottawa has yet to recover from the loss of Fairrouz on Somerset a few years ago (i weep for the pomegranate chicken i will never find again this side of the world) so i'm hoping for something great.

2011 Jan 19
There is another bakery that has ice cream other than Malak?
I'll have to find that.
I am actually eating at My House Cafe tommorow- is the other bakery you are talking about in that plaza?

Or is it Brioche?
Brioche is good and they have a good deal on a plate of broken pastries that are all wrapped up (for around $3).
But Brioche has some terrible little cookies- bought a few of the chocolate ones in Dec and they were as hard as a rock :(
The Baklava was fine there.

I'll be curious as to what the new Middle Eastern place will serve.
Jericho is good too- and they always have a 2 for 1 coupon in the Entertainment book (hopefully that helps some people.....)

In Billings Bridge there is also Stewarts Place and their food is good- they have been in that mall over 20 years (I remember them from when I was a kid and they were on the first floor of the mall).

Well, hopefully Naji's will have an affordable menu..or maybe something unique and different!

2011 Jan 30
I was walking down Bank St. today, I was surprised to see that Naji's Lebanese Restaurant finally says "OPENING FEB 3rd".
They're blinds were open, so I peeked inside, it looks good, very warming, earthy and casual.
I hope this place will fulfill the absence of Kamal's great food that the Glebe's been missing.

2011 Jan 30
I do have miss Kamal's a great deal over the years...