grapefruit oranges [General]

2011 Jan 15
Last week I picked up something at T&T that they called "grapefruit oranges". They were the size of small grapefruits and they were greenish yellow. They are full of very sweet juice and do taste to me like a combination of the two fruits. Does anyone know the real name of this fruit? I am hoping the season for them lasts a while yet.

2011 Jan 15
Pomelo?

2011 Jan 15
Not a pomelo. too small. and the pomelos were next to them. When we were in St. Lucia once we had their freshly squeezed grapefruit juice daily, and it was super sweet and similar to this "grapefruit orange". Not sour in the least.

2011 Jan 15
Ugli fruit?

(Cook's Thesaurus says it's supposed to be pronounced "HOO-glee". Who knew, eh?)

2011 Jan 16
Nope. sorry. I've had both pomelo and ugli fruit and I think these are smaller than either and much sweeter. If I get more this week I will post a picture.

2011 Jan 16
An Orangelo? It's a grapefruit and orange hybrid and the skin is quite yellow/green like you describe.

An aside:
The fairly popular Tangelo, some may or may not know, is a hybrid of the grapefruit and tangerine.
Cara Cara oranges are sometimes called grapefruit oranges because they're very pink inside (but super sweet/low acid) - and probably not what you have as the skin is very orange.
There's also Pineapple Orange hybrids (a variety of Sweet Orange). My favourite but tough to find.

2011 Jan 16
I think you may be right with the Orangelo AMR and thanks. Not pink inside and very yellow/green. Will still post a pic if I find them again.

2011 Jan 17
I bought more today. Here they are with an ordinary navel orange in the foreground. Quite Green, with light colored flesh inside. The sticker offers no clue other than "California". I think it is probably AMR's "Orangelo". Amazingly sweet juice, but still with a grapefruit flavor.