egg roll wrapper filling ideas? [General]

2011 Jan 15
recently i made home made egg rolls. i just filled them with a combination of cabbage, veggies, 5 spice powder, garlic, & ginger. i cooked the filling first, wrapped and then shallow fried the rolls. it was really easy (made the filling the day before) and it was so much better than frozen egg rolls.

does anyone have any other savoury filling ideas? i've had the veggie rolls at bank st herb & spice and love them. they seem to be egg roll wrappers filled with a very spicy samosa type filling, and then deep fried.

2011 Jan 15
I often use springroll wrappers for vegetable samosas. Very tasty and easy.

2011 Jan 15
Definately go with some shitake mushrooms in the filling. I also like trying a bit of a chewy vermicelli noodle- like yam noodles.

I've always wanted to try this recipe for avocado egg rolls:

www.food.com

I suppose it's not much worse than eating tortilla chips and guacamole.

2011 Jan 15
Oh!!!

I made some avocado wonton wrappers a long time ago from the Avocado.org, avocado board recipe.
They were different and quite tasty!

I have eaten spring rolls made with rice noodles and vegetables before.
the veggie filling was cabbage and carrot I think.

Sweetened egg rolls with apple cinnamon would be good.

Savory, maybe tofu, green onion and some crispy veggies like green beans sliced?

-some of those flavored tofu patties by soyarie or Yves veggie maybe and some carrots, rice noodles.

maybe filled w some marinated shitake mushrooms, rice? or noodles and a crispy vegetable.

2011 Jan 17
There used to be a place (10 - 15 years ago ...) in Toronto on Queen street W. with the best egg rolls - actually had egg wrapped around stuff, then wrapper on the outside. Anyone else remember this place - it was so good, a must stop every time I had business in Toronto. Anyway it may be a bit of work, but a fried egg/omelette type layer is confirmed as yummy.