Where could you buy a grocery cart? [General]

2011 Jan 6
Last night my grocery cart finally bit the dust. I bought it at Big Buds at least 10 years ago. I am now looking for a new one. Some of the kitchen stores have those nice Rhubard ones but I really need something a little bigger. (I would need one big enough to fit a case of tonic water or a couple of six packs, etc. in addition to my groceries.) Does anyone else have one of these grcoery carts and could recommend a store? Big Buds closed years ago so I am on a quest for a new store...

2011 Jan 6
You can get those shopping carts at most big box stores such as Walmart or Canadian Tire (see link)

www.canadiantire.ca

2011 Jan 6
Also a search on kijiji.ca can sometimes find you what you need:
ottawa.kijiji.ca
ottawa.kijiji.ca
ottawa.kijiji.ca

2011 Jan 7
go to any Food Basics, they sell theirs for $1... ;-)

2011 Jan 8
Hrm. Interesting.

I wonder if anyone would ever be interested in something a bit more sturdy. I'd not thought about this before because I've never needed to use one, but if it were made of good, sturdy plywood with decent rubber wheels and could still collapse? That doesn't sound too hard. Of course, it would be a bit more than one dollar.

Great. Now I have an idea in my head and have to design the entire thing.

sigh

2011 Jan 8
A coworker of mine spent a large amount of money on a "good" cart. I'll see if I can find out what brand it was.

2011 Jan 8
This one from Lee Valley is really nice

www.leevalley.com,43456,43391,55673

2011 Jan 9
spudguy LOL! I live in a highrise apartment and I always see a few stray grocery carts (albeit from Loblaws) in the garage. I somehow doubt any money changed hands-;)

Rizak I am in fact looking for something fairly sturdy since I don't own a car. I rely on the cart for my heavier items. I usually head over to blah blahs on pay day so I can visit the bank, the Beer Store, the LCBO, and Loblaws all in one shot. The only thing I really buy at the grocery store is canned stuff (juice, tea, etc.) then the farmers markets for fresh veggies and meat. Your concept is interesting - if you are ever interested in someone testing a prototype I might be interested-;)

zymurgist Geez I never thought of Lee Valley - thanks for the suggestion!

momomoto In the end I ended up getting a cart from Home Hardware in the Glebe. It doesn't look any better than the last one but I bought it for now and am preparing for the eventuality it will need to be replaced sooner rather than later. If you remember to ask your coworker about their cart feedback would be welcome...

2011 Jan 10
What are the interior dimensions? I figure it probably has to hold 2 paper grocery bags or a case of beer, but if there is a good/better sizing restriction I'd like to take that into account.

I already found some wheels that might work and have a decent hinging arrangement in mind.

The CT model says 11.5 x 15 x 18.5 and I'll use that as a base model.
Anyway, I'll take this to private messaging until it gets any further.

2011 Jan 12
The Lover of Pasta and I did a little back and forth and I think we have a winner of a design here.

Now, I haven't priced out the materials completely, but with good tube tires ($13.50 at LV) and a half-sheet of plywood, it's already running close to $50. If I was to make and sell these Foodie Carts, they'd probably be $75 or more.

The ideas were that they would hold as much as the standard cart, be able to survive an Ottawa winter, fold up like the standard cart, be more durable, not be a total eyesore.

I have enough material in a half-sheet of plywood to make it more generous, but it might get in the way of people trying to take them on the bus or into a store. The design shown is about 24" wide, 18" deep and 34" high (about 30" to the inside of the handle when at a 30 degree tilt). It folds up so that it is no wider than the wheels. Those are 10" cart wheels and should do quite well in the winterj. They give the cart just under 4" of ground clearance.

Anyway, I would welcome any criticism. I'll post a couple of pix here.

2011 Jan 12
Here is a shot of the back. There are 7 lengths of piano hinge in this design to make the bottom pull up to the back, then the sides accordian.

My shop is in disarray currently and it'd be a while before I could get working (all my tools are out in the unheated garage). If anyone is interested at all and is willing to help me to get this started, please email me at:

rizak.the.really.horrible @ gmail.com

If you love food, you should love shopping for food. I was just trying to come up with an idea to help that process for people who walk to their local stores.

2011 Jan 13
Cool - here is an idea - instead of plywood (good for a prototype) make them out of bamboo laminate. Not entirely sure where to source that but it would be lighter, durable and its sustainable. I'm thinking plywood would be a bit heavy even with holes. Just a thought.

2011 Jan 13
Instead of wood at all, I would use polycarb. It is surprisingly inexpensive, way more durable, lighter, and sliver-free. Talk to the guys at Canus plastic (downtown)... they can help you out with the sheet goods and tips for cutting (standard tools work).

I would also consider making the sides out of canvas canvas and the bottom "fold down to open, fold up-and in to close"... much easier than hinging or an accordian.... Frankly, I would probably make the whole compartment out of canvas with a spring-open mouth, but it depends on what you are looking for.

2011 Jan 13
Rizak and sourdough Great ideas all round! However I am somewhat concerned about the strength of the plywood/bamboo option. I haven't actually weighed my groceries yet but would they support maybe 20 lbs. or so of weight? For example yesterday's trip to Loblaws involved carting back a few bottles of juice (two each of Ocean Spray cranberry cocktail, Rougemont apple juice, and a Tropicana oj). I am also concerned about wheeling home a wood cart during the winter. The city is a little slow at plowing the sidewalks so I would be pushing it home through a little snow - not much but high enough to come into contact with the bottom of the cart. I would be worried about the wood warping/rotting.

hungry hungry hippo (I might be agreeing with you here - correct me if I'm wrong.) I had in fact been looking at those canvas carts but they tend to be on the small side. I would need to fit cases of stuff in them like a couple of six packs of beer, a case of tonic water, etc. Am I correct in asuming you are proposing a similar cart but the same size that Rizak is designing?...

2011 Jan 13
Thanks, guys. I'll look into the plastics idea, but think it might be too flexible. I'll ask.

Laminates have a tendency to split under extreme temperature change so I don't think that is a real possibility. If they start making bamboo plywood in a decent width, I'd give it a look.

Regular plywood won't warp with any decent amount of water. Even so, marine plywood might be used if that is a concern.

I'm looking at using 3/4" plywood because of the hinges. I would be able to stand up in the cart without worrying about going through the bottom. Seriously. Even with 1/2" ply I wouldn't be worried.

The project would either be clear-sealed or painted, so no splinters.

With canvas sides, there is no support for the front. If the front and sides were canvas, it would need a more rigid bottom support that it wouldn't be feasible to collapse. That was one of the earlier designs that I discarded. Unless it had some canvas webbing attached on a 45 degree angle on the sides to use as a bottom support ... with maybe a drawstring at the top to close it all up neatly ...

In speaking more with others privately, it would be possible with the above design to even add a second shelf so that you could separate your goods without crushing some. I'm thinking of making it big enough to put a case of 24 beers in. With some straps underneath to help lift it out, this might be a good idea. It might not.

More measurements ... more work ... grumble grumble ...

2011 Jan 13
The see through floor at the CN tower is made from polycarb.... just sayin'

The density of polycarb is quite a bit lower than 3/4" ply, so your cart would be much lighter right off the bat. The shear modulus of polycarb is 0.33 vs 0.09 for ply so it would actually bend less for the same thickness.

I still think canvas sides would be fine even with a rigid front. In that case I would make the bottom fold in and put a lip on the bottom edge of the front. To open it, you would push out the front and push down the bottom, making a 3 sided hard-core box with canvas sides. It wouldn't be any different than your accordion idea.... but quite a bit simpler to build and lighter.

If you were dead set on using a tree, I'd use MDF (again based on material strength vs. volume). 1/2" would be plenty.

2011 Jan 16
Alright, one more kick at the can here.

@H³ - your 3 sided box idea has a flaw. The front is not going to stay in place without any support. If it is only attached to the rest of the cart by the canvas sides it can't work, especially with an integral front foot.

I've come up with a much simpler idea, though not as thoroughly supportive when open. If positive-stop 90° blanket box supports were used on the folding shelves, then it would help to keep the structure sturdy when open. I like the idea of using standard 2" canvas webbing (as shown in the pic), but there's nothing to keep the shelves from collapsing if you let go of it.

The pic shown would have the grey portion represent some sort of netting or material covering that could be semi-permanently attached (laced on) or somehow removable (velcro, snaps, ties) so it could be taken off and washed. It would likely need some kind of drawstring closure at the top.

This model is shown using 1/2" material and is big enough to hold a flat case of 24 cans of soda (or 24 bottles from your beer store).

It would be considerably easier to make and a little more than half the weight of the other model, but wouldn't be as sturdy.

At this point you're almost better off modifying a refrigerator/mover's hand-truck, though it wouldn't be as wide or have the ground clearance.

A couple of things about MDF:
It works well in stable environments when not exposed to moisture or motion. Either can cause it to crumble or weaken, which is contrary to the exercise.

2011 Jan 18
Does it come with a cup holder and stereo? How much is additional tinting and ground fx? Can we pimp up the tires with some mags and maybe drop them 3" for that lowrider look?

:)

2013 Aug 3
I know you've all be on the edge of your seats waiting for updates on this exciting story. I made one of these plywood carts (painted a nice Monza Yellow) for my sister in Moncton and she uses it all the time. She gets a lot of requests for me to make more for the people who live in the city core and travel to the permanent market on the weekends. I can't see that working. If you've ever been in that market building, I wouldn't want to be the guy with a big cart trying to navigate those narrow aisles.

Anyway, here is a followup as to why they won't be made from bamboo plywood.