Best Old Fashioned Chocolate Layer Cake? [General]

2011 Jan 3
Any suggestions as to where to find the best old fashioned chocolate layer cake in Ottawa? I am doing a birthday dinner this weekend, and am not a great baker. I'd like to focus on all the savories and leave the spectacularly rich chocolate layer cake to a professional. Does anyone have a recommendation?

2011 Jan 3
If you are up for trying highy suggest this recipe: www.hersheys.com It is a recipe that my guy has used as his go to recipe for years, (the book version of our has been splashed with chocolate through time). The recipe in his words is "bulletproof". I don't normally bake and have baked it by myself and it really is an easy one. I chose to make it a smaller and halved the recipe to make a six inch, two layer chocolate cake. To me it is THE birthday cake. Moist, chocolaty, unfussy, flavourful and because it is home-made it means more. Making it ahead, taste the trimmings (to make sure it is flat for layering) and if it isn't to your liking you can pick one up.
Tip: if you are new with frosting, go for coverage and then, do not try and make it smooth. Make it rustic and swishy as it looks pretty and is so much easier. www.facebook.com

2011 Jan 4
This is my go-to recipe: heart-of-light.blogspot.com

No holds bar: the best chocolate cake in the 'verse. I've made it four or five times now and it's the crowd favourite.

Um, as for buying one, I would recommend the chocolate cake at Three Tarts, which is spectactular and rich, but not too heavy. I would also tell you to steer clear of Three Bakers and a Bike.

2011 Jan 4
Agree with Three Tarts if you want to purchase, and you couldn't go wrong at Stubbe's either. The Sacher Torte or Hazelnut Torte could fit; over Christmas we also had the Praline Torte from Stubbe's and it was pretty awesome too.