vegetarian dining out recommendations [General]

2010 Dec 29
it is my 10 year anniversary, i have a babysitter lined up (rare event) and just found out our first choice - zen kitchen - is going to be closed. i'd like to stay in the preston/chinatown/centretown area for dinner and it doesn't have to be fancy. i just want a really great vegetarian meal. i'm checking out the menus for places like black cat bistro, whalesbone, town (though can't find an online menu) and anything else that pops up in my searches. can anyone offer me any feedback on the vegetarian meals they've had at these places?

we love all ethnicities and are open to trying anywhere. it is a very rare treat to go out to eat, so we want it to be good and we would like to enjoy some wine with dinner too (which limits some places in chinatown).

also, husband is not vegetarian, which is why i am open to going anywhere.

thanks for any and all suggestions.

2010 Dec 29
What about Atelier?

2010 Dec 29
Ceylonta!

2010 Dec 29
hipfunkyfun, how about Le Kim Chi -- I know you've enjoyed it before! Also, don't forget about an overlapping forum discussion from last month: Forum - Best Vegetarian Restaurants.

Congrats and happy anniversary! :-)

2010 Dec 30
Pan B - I do support Atelier, even if I hate the building, there is just no way I can justify spending that much money on dinner and wine.

My husband is interested in trying Wellington Gastropub, I just have to see what the vegetarian options are like. I don't care for a mushroom heavy winter meal. What is online for their website today doesn't interest me too much. Is there usually a vegetarian special?

Love Le Kim Chi, but don't know if I can get hubby back there. I may phone Black Cat Bistro and get an idea of what their vegetarian dishes are (not listed on the website).

2010 Dec 30
factoring in a non-veg'n hubbie + wine + relatively central locale, my suggest-list drawn from places i've been to: whalebone, WGP, allium, absinthe.

- W-Bone: responsible for the one of the most memorable vegetarian meal i've had in Ottawa. Return meals have been more generic, but the atmosphere and my seafood-loving better-half's smile is a strong pull when looking for celebration resties.

- Gastropub: in 4-5 visits, i've only been truly satisfied by one veg main (a risotto). Just my opinion and one that goes against the accumulated wisdom of this site, so i'll hasten to add they do rotate their veg mains fairly often. Also, i've always found their veg apps v. good / excellent. Thumbs-up on the ambiance, decor, wines, etc.

- Allium: serves a decent variety of veg friendly dishes, often innovative, all done very nicely and again, very good service and nice ambiance here.

- Absinthe was a personal dark horse: walking past and glancing at the menu, never pegged it as my type of place. But, SO dragged me out, and 3 visits later, I think its a fine nice-night-out restie. Service is great and with its high ceilings and open space, a nice and buzzy atmosphere prevails. And while the veg. menu options don't turn over as quickly as others above, i think that's a good thing b/c the ones they do serve are decent - nuanced, made in house and good with wine.

Congrats and enjoy wherever you end up.

2010 Dec 30
Happy Anniversary!

Try calling Wellington Gastropub, in the past they have always been very accomodating to veg requests.

2010 Dec 30
If you're looking for good vegetarian then I'd say Indian is a good bet - Ottawa has +++ Indian restaurants!

2010 Dec 30
itchy feet - thank you! that list is exactly what i was hoping to get, much appreciated. we haven't tried any of those restaurants. we will be going out in a week, so i will report back after.

2011 Jan 9
just as a follow-up. we ended up going to allium and were very happy with our evening out. i had the vegetarian main and my husband had chef's choice - which ended up being lobster. we felt slightly neglected by our waiter, but it didn't dampen our evening out.

i'll post a short review under the restaurant.