Creton [General]

2010 Dec 25
OK, I just discovered this stuff and am wondering what some of your recipes might look like. From what I have read so far it is pretty simple to make, but also pretty diverse and people sometimes really make it their own. Anyone here make it?

2010 Dec 27
I make it all the time. There are all kinds of versions around. Mine is my mom's age old family recipe.

1 1/4 ib regular ground pork (fattier the better actually)
1 large diced onion
1 cup bread crumbs
1 cup milk
1/4 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp cinnamon
salt pepper to taste

Throw it all in a pot on and simmer for about 1 - 1/2 hr. Some will opt to put it through a food processor but I don't. Put into a dish and refrigerate.

One other option I have used for a quick cretons is to use the same ingredients except the milk and breadcrumbs. Cook the same but at the end of cooking throw in a can of cream of celery soup, process and refrigerate. Different, good, but not entirely authentic.

2010 Dec 27
oh yeah, I forgot. You can serve cretons with eggs, maple baked beans and toast. Stick to your ribs quebecois breakfast. Or with salted crackers, yellow mustard and "une grosse Cinquante" beer.

2010 Dec 30
A few weeks ago the Outaouais farmers market had a producer that was sampling her organic cretons that were gluten free and locally made.
I tried the different kinds and flavors and they were good,but I am not a fan of pate, so did not buy.

It was from Ferme Celine Tremblay.
here is the ingredients on one product:

Creton bio aux canneberges et à l'huile d'olive | SANS AGENTS DE CONSERVATION, SANS GLUTEN, 250ml, CERTIFIÉ BIOLOGIQUE Ingrédients: porc haché, huile d'olive extra-vierge, canneberges séchées, ail frais, sel de mer, poivre noir moulu, romarin séché. À part le sel, TOUS LES INGRÉDIENTS SONT CERTIFIÉS BIOLOGIQUES. | Prix : 7.00$ | Quantité disponible : 4

not sure if this is only sold in Quebec or if it is in ottawa too?