What do you like for breakfast? [Cooking]

2010 Dec 17
Next Friday, to kick off the holiday season, our social committee at work has organized a potluck breakfast. The parents on staff are encouraged to bring their kids. One of my coworkers will be dressing up as Santa and the social committee will be handing out loot bags to the kids. All staff are asked to bring one potluck item. I usually take a lemon loaf or chocolate banana muffins or such but almost all of the potluck items are really high on the carbs. I thought as a change I would bring something non-bread related but I am stumped. Does anyone have any ideas? I would prefer bringing something I can make the night before.

2010 Dec 17
Man, non-carb breakfast items, eh? What if you made drinks instead? Non-alc mimosas or bellinis? You could just use that random sparking grape juice stuff you find in the store instead of bubbly. You'd probably have to bring your own cups, though.

2010 Dec 17
I love cut-up fruit tossed with a little fruit juice and freshly grated ginger. Yum.

2010 Dec 17
Momomoto Yeah a non carb breakfast item is a challenge. It's easier when I'm at home and have a fully equiped kitchen so I can whip up an egg dish of sorts. I only have a microwave and fridge at work. (And microwaved eggs taste gross IMO.) The thought crossed my mind to make a frittatta but I would probably have to make it before I leave the house. Which is not a problem I'm just not much of a morning person-;)

Caperbeachgal Great idea! One of my former coworkers used to often bring fruit salads to our potlucks (but using cinnamon) and they were always a hit.

2010 Dec 17
You can easily make healthy home made breakfast bars out of just about anything in your pantry.

2010 Dec 17
Before Aikido at 5am I usually have a nice thick slice of home made bread or the stuff from Harvest Loaf . With jam, mayo, butter, bacon fat or something else on it.

And a big glass of 1/3 apple juice and 2/3 water to drink (maybe 500ml total)

I have made my Quick and Easy Apple Pie pockets starting at 5:05 am and having one in my hand as I scoot out the door about 5:35. See video below for those.

Another standby for me is one I ate almost every day for about 3 years of my university years - a bowl of oatmeal with a nice blob of all natural peanut butter in it, and a splash of skim milk. Sometimes I'd go nuts and use jam or maple syrup or something else instead of the PB

2010 Dec 17
Oh, lately I've been having the oatmeal with a few good tablespoons of my home-canned apple pie filling with apples, brown sugar and cinnamon.

2010 Dec 17
If you want a truly low-carb option, you'll have to move towards the savoury side of things.

Bacon! A ham. Pork rinds.

A frittata. Scotch eggs! Devilled eggs.

2010 Dec 17
Cold cubed honey dew melon, a bowl of cold pomegranate seeds (my favorite), Coffee with Bailey's, grapes with seeds, natto.

2010 Dec 18
To echo Fresh Foodie's idea of frittata, you could make mini frittatas in muffin or tart tins.

Another healthier option is to make homemade turkey sausage patties- I've had some good recipes with apple in them.

You could make a tex mex type scrambled egg and bring whole wheat tortillas for breakfast burritos.

I also like the fruit idea but I lean towards a fruit platter and serve a yogurt dip to go with it.

2010 Dec 20
Thanks everyone for the great ideas. If I bring meat I will be everybody's best friend-;) Now to decide what to bring...

2010 Dec 20
Sorry too late Pasta Lover but I love pizza for breakfast--ham and pineapple in particular. I often bring it to brunches and it always disappears (breakfast meat, fruit and cooked bread...oh, and cheese!)

2010 Dec 21
Make an apple crisp, but I guess that would probably have carbs from the apples?

Make some french toast baked in the oven, serve with bacon and make little sandwiches out of the french toast :)

2010 Dec 21
W.C. Our potluck breakfast isn't until this Friday so you're not too late at all-;) We have this breakfast potluck every year on Christmas eve so I am always looking for ideas. Your suggestion is a good one.

Prettytastyreviews Apples are okay - I was basically trying to veer (sp?) away from bread products. Most of my coworkers will be bringing muffins and quickbreads and I have a feeling a couple of them will be bringing pies and cupcakes. I am not a big dessert person especially at breakfast but the apple crisp idea sounds great - oatmeal and fruit all in one dish!

2010 Dec 21
I have the same thing every. single. day. (so long as I can help it):

Toasted whole wheat English muffin with light peanut butter (not because it's "light" per se, but because it's sweeter) and coffee. Not any of that fancy "brewed" coffee; instant, with Coffeemate creamer, sweetener, and milk.

Who me, particular?

That said, when I do have a different breakfast, eggs are always a welcome change (bonus points for fancy ingredients like cipollini onions and brie...), as well as toast made with a really nice, out-of-the-ordinary kind of bread.

2010 Dec 24
I just wanted to thank everyone again for the suggestions. I decided to bring devilled eggs (using Beking farms eggs) and sliced ham (Polish ham from the Sausage Kitchen). Both were a huge hit and disappeared within minutes after appearing on the table. I now have lots more ideas for next year. Either that or we will need to do these breakfasts more often-;)