making pierogies [Recipes]

2010 Dec 12
we are considering a pierogie making new year's eve party. i have never made pierogies before, any tested recipes to share? suggestions? tips?

we have a few cheap dumpling presses, which i am hoping we can use. i am curious about dough and any filling ideas. i will do a google search, but i prefer tested recipes when i can get them.

thanks!

2010 Dec 12
Coincidentally I gave out this info on Twitter earlier today

Forum - Hunky Bill's Perogy Maker

urbanhippy.ca

2010 Dec 12
New Year's Eve Pierogie Party! Yazhooooo! Sounds like my kind of party.
However I'm no pierogie pro, but did make them a couple years ago, a many hours affair with dw and our dd and her dh. I've forgotten the dough recipe I used but do remember that it went best when I added all the liquid and then added the flour, as needed, as it was kneaded, just as I do with bread (so go with what you know and are comfortable doing as you make bread). Also, let it relax after kneading for ~15 minutes. We made them too small - about 3" - so I'd recommend 4, 4-1/2 or 5". As I will assume you will have lots of people working I'd make them by hand, having one roll and cut dough, 1 stuffing, one wetting the edge down with a water/bit of flour mixture, another folding and sealing with a fork dipped in flour, or something like that. The filling should be rt or cold.

We made up our own fillings with what we had on hand as we had 2 vegetarians and 4 cooks all open to innovation so we made up fillings to mix with mashed potato (russets):

- sweet potato in place of potato, thyme, and sauteed garlic, onion, mushroom, pepper, salt, balsamic vinegar (really good)
- old cheddar, butter, onions, garlic and s&p
- mushroom, onion, garlic, and s&p
- cottage cheese, butter, onions, rosemary, garlic, Parmesan, s&p
- red jalapeno stuffed with feta (it was in the fridge), goat cheese, sour cream, hot smoked Spanish paprika and pepper (my fave)

While I like to boil and fry frozen store-bought pierogie the homemade ones were unbelieveably good just boiled, topped with sour cream and some chopped green onions and pepper - sensuously soft pillows of homemade pasta-like goodness.

Note: we made too many fillings and had to keep making batches of dough and ended up exhausted after nearly 5 hours of work and much clinking and drinking and nearly 300 pierogies. You might want to keep it to ~3 batches of dough and fillings???

2010 Dec 12
The daring kitchen (thedaringkitchen.com) had a pierogie challenge in August.
I have made them before, they weren't bad but.. then had the real deal in Kitchener. It's hard to describe but the dough was very soft (not mushy) when cooked and the filling very good.
My sisters and I have a ravioli day, where we make different fillings.

2010 Dec 17
I cooked some interesting and good pierogies for a party a few years ago.
Used packaged pierogy but cooked them differently.
I'm sure this would work with home made too...

Defrosted the package of pierogy, brush with teriyaki sauce and bake in the oven till crisp and serve w a dipping sauce.
Kind of a oven baked version of deep fried ravioli, except w pierogy and no breading.

Everyone did like them and there was none left.

For filling I would use assorted mushrooms and some kind of herbs if I were to make them.

bacon, sweet potato and old cheddar could be tasty too!

2010 Dec 18
dough:
520g AP flour
1 t salt
500 ml sour cream

- mix salt + flour
- mix in sour cream until you have a smooth dough
- wrap dough in saran; refrigerate for 30 mins (or overnight)
(i find this dough very interesting; it has an curious texture)

filling:
4 large potatoes
150 g old chedar (grated)
1/4 t salt
1/4 t white pepper
pinch nutmeg

- boil potatoes salted water in their skins until done
- remove skins
- mash potatos with other ingredients

assembly:
- roll dough on floured surface
- use a round cutter to make dough disks
- spoon filling onto disk
- wet finger with some water, dampen edges of dough disk and fold over
- pinch the edges together

- bring water to a boil in a large pot
- boil perogies until they float
- optional : remove from water; place on rack to dry a bit; pan fry in oil until browned
- serve with crumbled bacon and fried onions with sour cream on the side

tips:
- make the dough the day before to avoid this becoming a herculean task
- finding the right amount of filling for the disk size is tricky; i use a small ice cream scoop to ensure uniform filling amounts

2010 Dec 18
In case you're still interested in any more info hff, here's the dough recipe I used: www.ichef.com - it has an egg in it which explains why I liked the pierogies so much just boiled and not fried (may be similar to those good ones solstice had in Kitchener?). We froze the leftover pierogies and just boiled them too.

2010 Dec 19
Growing up in a polish family pierogies are a common side for dinner. For some stuffing ideas

- onions, potatoes and cheese ( cheddar or cottage)
- leftover beef or pork put through the food processor until fine with onions and a little broth or sour cream
- dessert pierogies with blueberries and sugar
- sauerkraut filling
- meat and sauerkraut with mushrooms
The possibilities are endless

You can also make kluski with left over poatoes.
1 cup potatoes mashed and cooled
1 egg
1 cup flour
Mix together until dough forms. Divid the dough and roll into a long snake. Use a knife and cut into 1 inch pieces. Boil water and add kluski cook until they g
Float then fry in butter onions and bacon. Quick and perfect for winter.

2010 Dec 22
Our (polish) family pierogy filling recipe is to mix cheese and mashed potatoes at a 50/50 ratio. Traditionally, my Grandma used cottage cheese, but I also like making them with medium cheddar. I also like to throw some black pepper in there. Usually the cheese is salty enough, but you can salt to taste.

The dough recipe is simple - 2 cups of sour cream to 5 cups of flour, with a little salt mixed into the flour first. If you find you need more elasticity, beat an egg in the sour cream container and then mix that into the dough.

I use my largest mug to cut the circles, maybe 4" across?

And then freeze separately on trays and throw into freezer bags - they keep forever and are delish! I should make a batch this holiday...

2011 Jan 13
hipfunkyfun did you manage to pull the pierogy party together?

2011 Jan 15
sorry all for the lack of response. thank you all very much for the recipes. sadly our new year's gang got seriously hit by the flunami lmgtfy.com/?q=flunami

pierogie plans are on hold until we can arrange a re-do. i was tempted to try some of the recipes on my own, but with just 2 guys here to feed and a full freezer it seemed like too big of an endeavour. when i do get a chance to try it out, i will report back! thanks again, i appreciate all the help.

2011 Dec 24
Dug up this thread, as I spotted a set of pierogie presses at the Wellington/Parkdale PharmaPlus. They're an "As Seen On TV" set that I picked up while ago for Zym and they work well enough. Regular $20, on for $10 right now.