iPhone apps for food discovery [General]

2010 Dec 11
Just noticed the release of Chewsy -- the first iPhone app I've seen that mimics some of the most basic functionality of OttawaFoodies: www.chewsy.com

They don't support Ottawa yet (only Vancouver and large American cities), but it looks promising! Unlike the plethora of restaurant review based solutions out there, this one actually allows you to review individual menu items at a given restaurant. I'm not sure if they actually cross-reference menu items across restaurants like we do here, but it's the first time I've seen anything remotely resembling what we have.

Exciting times! :-)

2010 Dec 11
so, when are you working on an ottawafoodies API? :-)

Have you been checking out Ottawa Open Data? opendataottawa.ca/

2010 Dec 11
I've considered writing an OttawaFoodies app for iOS, but the return on investment just isn't there. The web interface is somewhat usable on my iPhone already (aside from photo uploading).

I'm not at all likely to release an API, since maintaining it and guaranteeing backwards compatibility across site upgrades would not be a lot of fun.

I'm watching the Open Data projects with great interest -- mostly because Ottawa desperately needs a live bus-tracking app!

2010 Dec 12
I personally prefer local forums, such as ottawafoodies, anyway. Pretty rare for me to be out wandering and decide I want to eat out somewhere nice.

It's nice to be on a local community site to discuss opinions, etc and decide from there what foodie things & places I want to try out.

2010 Dec 12
While not an iPhone app, I stumbled upon m.ourcheeses.com/ yesterday. It uses the proper templates to render with the native look on the iPhone.

If you like Québec cheeses, it is a great resource, very convenient when you want to look up a cheese while at the store :)

2010 Dec 12
Here is my favorite iPad food app