Best Steak in City [Food/Vendor]

2010 Dec 1
So each year around this time I have friends visit me from NYC, London and other cities that have a distinct culinary reputation. Each year we pick a different type of food (last year was Atelier...loved it), this year they want the best steak in Ottawa. Ive been to many Ottawa steakhouses and I believe that Luxe and Sterling provided some of the better experiences based purely on quality and taste, while Prime 360 and Eigh18teen (sp?) were decent but somewhat overrated.

Where would you say simply has the best, preferable near downtown. Ive read some unflattering reviews about STEAK: Modern Steakhouse and Lounge. Are these unwarranted, are there new venues that need to be tried? Should I stick with a classic?

Your expert opinion is greatly appreciated

2010 Dec 1
Monty's house :-)

2010 Dec 1
...if you want it charred ;)

2010 Dec 1
I'd love to hear the responses that we get to this. I believe that the best steak I've had in the city was had at Black Cat, but that isn't a steak house, per se, so I don't know if it'd meet your criteria.

2010 Dec 1
Yeah, on the serious side I honestly gave up ordering steak at restaurants because it is rarely done to my satisfaction. Biftek used to do a nice one but a lot of their other stuff was questionable - like serving reheated frozen veggies on the side. Bleh.

2010 Dec 1
Momo - I'm with you on the Black Cat Bistro recommendation. Absinthe also does a great steak as does the Wellington Gastropub. None of these places are steakhouses!

Having said that, I rarely (pun! HAR HAR) order steak when I'm out, like Zym, it's rarely done to my satisfaction and it tends to be one of the more/most expensive items on a menu... the risk:reward is not in my favour, typically.

2010 Dec 1
I think it is because a good steak is such a personal thing that it is pretty difficult for a restaurant to get it right. Took me years to be able to cook a steak that my wife likes, for example.

2010 Dec 1
It's a tricky line to tread. I'm with you both: steak is a personal thing and I don't often order it at restaurants.

At the same time, though, sometimes you just want to go to The Keg Manor and celebrate.

Especially when you don't feel like making fries for a crowd.

Or making sauce?

2010 Dec 1
I 100% agree, its such a personal thing. I typically buy the entire loin and butcher it myself, its taken me some time to really learn how to cook a great steak and since significantly improving me technique I've stopped ordering it at restaurants. Sometimes you have to please the guests.

Thanks for the suggestions so far, I really liked Absinthe and never even thought of it for steak. Black Cat I havent tried, thanks.

2010 Dec 1
Momo - the bordelaise w/ foie sauce on my steak at Black Cat was darned tootin' good. Not sure if they still do that, but they should if they don't.

2010 Dec 1
Does anyone in the city make a 'Herb Crusted' steak? If I remember correctly, it had what looked like a pan fried coating seared onto it, followed by grilling to finish it.

2010 Dec 1
BigEasys does a good steak as well.

2010 Dec 1
my experiences, specifically when it comes to steak, were all poor at prime 360, sterling, al's and the keg OTHER than the keg manor, which has been very good multiple times. I've also had a good experience at Absinthe.

2010 Dec 1
We have had good luck in the past with The Rose Bowl. I have to say though, we haven't been in a year or so.

2010 Dec 2
Chimi: If their menu's still up-to-date, they're still rockin' the bordelaise. I love how they do that and have maître d'hôtel butter on it. No wonder it makes me want to kiss the wait staff every time I have it.

Actually, that may have something to do with the wait staff themselves, too...

2010 Dec 7
Keg on Hunt Club and Al's are both solid - not 'best ever, but really really good/worth the money/i'm happy i ate that - when they have 'on nights'. On 'off nights', not so much. I avoid both when i know they will be mad busy.

Friday's used to do a great steak but i haven't been to the new location yet.

2010 Dec 9
I think the steak frites at Cafe Paradiso are hard to beat!

2010 Dec 10
zymurgist: Thanks for the heads up about Biftek 's quetionable "other stuff". Serving me reheated frozen veggies on the side would go straight back. If I want that crap I'll go to the supermarket. Oh wait, I don't even do it at home. Why would I pay a premium for it at a restaurant?

I am of a similar school and don't order Steak at restaurants. Too much $ for a usually disappointing experience. (I feel similarly about ordering pasta. I just don't.)