venison [Cooking]

2010 Nov 29
Tis the season, and we will soon be making tortierre. I like to make a seafood pie but my husband was thinking of adding venison to his.
Does anyone know who sells venison? I thought I had seen it in a grocery store once.

2010 Nov 29
There is a place in Kanata who raises Elk IIRC, and a place way in the east end who has bison and other exotic animals. I forget the names of both of them.

2010 Nov 29
Manotick Village Butcher had venison & boar a week or two ago, it looked great. elk meat is very close, the elk ranch in Kanata is a good spot, but it's a bit expensive. Otherwise, make friends with a hunter! Loads of deer out there, bow hunting season is on for deer in most parts of ON...

2010 Nov 29
Bearbrook has quite a selection: www.bearbrookfarm.com/

They even have various meat pies and other heat and serve dishes ready to go, along with frozen raw meat cuts of various types.

Nothing compares to the taste of wild venison though, farmed stuff is quite tame in flavour :-)

2010 Nov 29
Elk Ranch and Bearbrook were the 2 I was talking about.

Here is the URL for the former www.elkranch.com

2010 Nov 29
Farm boy on Hazeldean had venison last week

2010 Nov 29
pretty sure Aubreys and saslove's have frozen venisson. I believe they come from maison du gibier. They are pricey.

2010 Nov 30
Was going to say Bearbrook farm,but someone beat me to it!
I have some of their venison salami here,but I think they sell frozen meats also!
they are not that cheap,but quality seems good.