Healthy street food petition [Food/Vendor]

2010 Nov 24
Sign this petition to get the attitudes and motivation of the provincial government changed to allow healthy street food permits.

www.gopetition.com

2010 Nov 24
It is a good idea, but from what I noticed when I was working in an office on Elgin-where there is all types of food in all price ranges was that people just seemed to like junk food.

People just liked junk food a lot. Some days I'd have vegetables or fruit as part of my snack and people would always ask why I was eating those things and not a tasty doughnut.

Even today I was at a cafeteria that has 3 counters.
one has pizza and chips, the next has sandwiches and salads, another has the deep fried foods-chicken fingers poutine ect.
Most people were getting the pizza,fries. Even doctors and staff were getting the fries and greassy food (cafeteria was in a hospital).

I guess any change is good though!

2010 Nov 25
Does anyone really listen to online petitions?

I think this is a fabulous idea, but not sure it will do any good

2010 Nov 25
maybe "variety" should be substituted for "healthy"?

junk food...could be thats all that is available at that location?

It works in LA and Portland OR, why not here?

2010 Nov 25
To be honest, I am appauled(sp?) at what staff eat at hospitals. I have sat at the Caf in the general during breakfast and watched people (staff) walk out with all kinds of styrofoam containers jammed with greasy breakfast stuff from their grill. Typically, if I need some food in the am I will get a little dish of cottage cheese, some fruit, a boiled egg or yogurt to tide me over. For the most part, I bring my own food. Cheaper and healthier.

I think I have been to two chip trucks since moving to Ottawa and it was specifically for french fries but otherwise, they have nothing great to offer.

I signed the petition because I'd love to see something interesting offered and hopefully not screwed up to the extent the Toronto Food truck situation was.

2010 Nov 26
I'm curious as to what regulations are in place to PREVENT healthy street food vendors from plying their trade.

2010 Nov 26
A couple of question: if a variety (variety as in variety of foods) of food trucks (1 or 2 per day) turned up at your place of work at lunch time each day, would you be tempted to try them out?
If you could get who is to be at your place of work via a social media tool such as facebook or twitter, etc., would that interest you?

2010 Nov 26
Signed. Likely futile, but signed none the less.

2010 Nov 26
Signed. Although, the regulations don't seem to be restricting to healthy food vendors, but new vendors altoghether. It sounds like there are only a certain number of permits, and they don't want to give them up to allow new businesses. I understand that they don't want to put people out of business to allow new street food carts, but they should emit MORE permits.

2010 Nov 26
when a vendor licenced by the city, gives up their spot for whatever reason, the city isn't renewing the licence for someone else. So eventually there will be no street vendors in Ottawa on public land/streets. Private land/spots are all that is left. I believe Montreal has gone the same way...there are no street vendors.
Don't know why the city does that?

2010 Nov 28
Speaking of the hospital food-they do have some "healthy" items like sushi,hummus and taboule plates in the fridge.

But when I was there last week the cafeteria had put a sign up saying no more "hash browns and potato puffs" as the hospital board wants healthier menu.

I spoke to one of the ladies from the cafeteria while I was waiting for my unhealthy sandwich (did not have a whole meal just an egg and cheese on english muffin).
The cafeteria lady told me they stopped doing the hash browns potatoes as they were cooked in bacon greasse.
The potato puffs-those were really deep fried and quite bad for you.

I don't really care that they changed that on their menu,but it is a start.
I also know that they have a sign up saying their pizza is made with 50% soy cheese for better nutrition or something like that.
The pizza there is very good, and quite heavy-they make it from scratch every day.

Yup, usually I bring my own breakfast and rarely eat out for breakfast.
Can't eat that much in the AM.