Sweet Soya Sauce [General]

2010 Nov 12
Recently I did some work at the Indonesian Embassy and was treated to lunch while there . I particularly liked the sweet soya sauce served with the rice . Any one know where I can purchase "Sweet Soya Sauce " in Ottawa ? Thanks for any info ..............F.

2010 Nov 13
It's called kecap manis.

Most asian stores have it in Chinatown and T&T has it as well.

I like and use the ABC brand. Cheap.

Yummy on Thai rice (Jasmine scented)

Kinda like (palm)molasses and soya sauce together.

2010 Nov 13
.... Or you can spend twice as much for half the amount and buy Conimex brand at a foodie store (e.g. Ottawa Bagel shop) or the Dutch grocery Store on Merivale Rd.

2010 Nov 13
i've never heard of sweet soya sauce before (i'm not normally a soya sauce person). how is it used, besides on rice?

2010 Nov 13
From what I've experienced, most of the uses are rice- or noodle-based. For example, it's a key flavouring component of nasi goreng (fried rice) and bami goreng (fried noodles).

2010 Nov 13
works well for glazing meats, like roasted chicken.

2010 Nov 13
I purchased mine at T&T. Be sure that the bottle says Kecap Manis - there are other sweet soya sauces and they taste nothing like the Indonesian one. My favorite dish with this is Pork with Sweet Soya Sauce. Haven't made it in a while, think I will put it on the menu for this week. Thanks for the reminder!

2010 Nov 15
momomoto - do you have a recipe for nasi goreng? i made some this weekend and it was fantastic, it called for a dark soya sauce. i only had light, so i used that and it was still really good, but i'd like to try it with the sweet sauce next time. also, what type of rice works best? we were just using what we had on hand, which was leftover brown basmati.

2010 Nov 15
Confession time! The only time I've made nasi goreng is using the boxed spice mixes from the Dutch Grocery store :) That having been said, it was way decent.

I think that basmati would work just fine: I'm not sure how much of basmati's flavour/aroma are preserved once the rice is fried, but better that than having to go and buy a specific bag of rice.

2010 Nov 15
One thing about Sweet Soya Sauce, compared to regular soya sauce, is that it is really thick. It has a syrupy consistency similar to oyster sauce. I also keep mine refrigerated.

I use the sauce in vegetable stirfrys with garlic and oil. It is too thick to put directly on rice.

2010 Nov 15
momomoto - i made the nasi goreng recipe from the bbc goodfood vegetarian cookbook. not sure how authentic it is, but the taste was great, plus it was really easy! none of the recipes i've seen online are as straightforward as the one i used in the cookbook.

2010 Nov 16
We use lots of Kecap Manis - usually the ABC brand, but have tried others - what ever is at the asian grocery. We use it in stir fries - with a bit of hoisin, or with noodles - it was great with some Shanghai noodles I made on the weekend, with chicken and shanghai bok choi. I never have it in the fridge, it keeps no problem for under a year.