looking to buy blood [General]

2010 Nov 12
Hi,

I would like to make my own blood sausages, a traditional dish for Christmas, but I never suceeded in being able to purchase fresh or frozen blood in Ottawa. Would anyone have any leads for me?

Many thanks,

2010 Nov 12
Good luck with that and let me know if you have any success, I love blood sausages as well and haven't found many good, fresh made ones in Ottawa.

Ask at butcher shops in Hull/Gatineau that make their own boudin noir, I haven't been over to check out these butcher shops personally however. Also ask at Sausage Kitchen in Byward, they make a buckwheat/blood sausage (kashanka) so they must have access to blood. I have a charcuterie cookbook that suggests checking out your local chinatown, so maybe New 168 or Kowloon on somerset may be able to help you out.

My understanding from family and acquaintances who raise meat is that the animal must be killed in an inspected abattoir and is typically butchered at another site. Most of the less popular stuff like the head, blood, and certain organs are left behind at the abattoir. However, I am not sure that the system works the same way in Quebec, because I see a lot of boudin in good butchers in Montreal so I suspect it might be a bit easier to get fresh blood there.

2010 Nov 12
I used to live in Toronto and the big Chinese markets there always had blood (pig and chicken) in large clear plastic containers, so I'd definitely look in the Chinese markets here.

I'd look for you, but it gives me the spins!

2010 Nov 12
I suggest calling an abattoir to see if they will sell you some - I suspect they would, as it's money in their pocket. Mind you, things may have changed - it's been a long time since I last went to one.

2010 Nov 12
I knew I should have not clicked on this posting.
As soon as I read this I had vomit in my mouth.
Guess that means there is more of the blood sausage to go around for other people if I do not enjoy it.

I'll stick with my tofu for now....i know some people find tofu gross too ;)

2010 Nov 17
EMari - please let us know how your blood sausage-making adventure unfolds. I have a mini-obsession with blood sausage, boudin noir, morcilla, whatever you want to call it. I know www.lamaisonbisson.com/ sells local boudin noir, maybe they can advise on sources? Depending on an abattoir's generosity there may be less red tape if they just give you the blood for free rather than sell it. For other blood sausage lovers, Jeffrey Steingarten's essay "It takes a Village to Kill a Pig" is an enjoyable read, from his book "It must of been something I ate". Best of luck EMari.

2010 Nov 18
The Chinese market on Montreal Rd in Vanier (formerly Uni Mart) usually has pork blood in clear tubs, back left of store near the fish in the fridge.

2010 Nov 27
Thank you to everyone for their suggestions re buying fresh blood. The Sausage Kitchen came through, and I was able to order approx. 2 litres (minimum) for $10. FOr larger quantities they suggested I can go directly to Lavergne Slaughter House in Navan.
The sausages (100 links) and black pudding got made today with great success and three helpers. Took about four hours with the KitchenAid Sausage stuffer appliance. Taste testing of the sausages happens tomorrow and then wait until Christmas for the real meal.

2010 Nov 27
EMari, please post recipes! Please!

2010 Nov 30
Recipe for Blood sausage:
Rinse and cook 2 pounds (1 kg.) barley in 9 cups, until mixture resembles porridge.
Fry up 1 pound chopped pork fat (any combination of fat/bacon/fatty ham) and 2 chopped onions. Mix into the cooked barley mixture along with 3 Tbsp salt, 1 tsp pepper & 1.5 Tbsp marjoram/thyme. When cooled mix in 1 quart fresh strained blood.
The mixture will be fairly liquidy from the blood.
Stuff into rinsed casings (approx. .3 kg) Tie into 6 inch sausages.
Boil in salted water for 5-10 minutes, until if pricked with a needle no red blood appears. Cool and freeze or eat within one week. To serve roast in oven with more pork fat or oil or fry in covered pan.

Blood pudding (loaf):
Mix in a bowl -
.5 quart blood (strained)
1 c. water,
1 onion & 100 g. pork fat/bacon/ham sauted,
3 c. rye or barkey flour,
salt, pepper, marjoram to taste (see proportions above)
Put into greased "square" baking dish.
Cook in 350o oven until slightly rises and cracks appear and done when knife comes out clean, approx. 45 minutes. Looks like brownies. To serve slice when cool and fry with eggs and hashbrowns. Cranberry sauce also.