Looking for Tri Tip [Food/Vendor]

2010 Nov 9
Hi All,
I am a newbie to the forum and I thought a good first question to ask would be. Does anyone know where I can find some good Tri Tip steak? I have tried a couple of my favourite butcher's and have not had any luck as of yet.

Eat Well!

2010 Nov 9
This search has been the bane of my buddy's existence. He says the best results he's had is to actually take a picture of the cut to a small butcher. i.e. one of those diagrams that shows you all the pieces of the animal. Your best bet would be one of the small butchers that actually has a side hanging in their cooler - the only ones I know for sure who do that are some of the muslim shops like Al Jazeerah . That is not to say I know they have it, but if you brought them the diagram they could probably cut it for you. I think Sasloves may have sides hanging, too, but not sure. I know for certain that Al Jazeera does

2010 Nov 9
The Manotick Village Butcher sells tri tip from time to time, best to call ahead and they may cut a piece just for you! Their beef is locally sourced and DELICIOUS in my experience, I highly recommend them.

2010 Nov 9
Dan Alsford at Brian's Butchery on Cobden Rd. will have what your looking for and it will probably be Simmetal Beef from O'Brien's Farm. Fantastic flavour and marbling.
Dan is a great butcher and good friend.

2010 Nov 15
Thanks to all for the info I will make sure to investigate the vendors that were suggested. I used to frequent Brian's Butchery however I have moved and do not get there as much as I'd like anymore. Dan did supply me with a whole piglet for my smoker last year. Great product and the service is the best!!

2010 Nov 16
We have it fairly often at the Manotick Village Butcher. It's a really nice cut of beef too.

2010 Nov 27
Well, my aforementioned buddy went to Brian's with no love to be found. But the Manotick Village Butcher hooked him up, and he says it is now his new favorite butcher shop. Kudos!

2010 Nov 29
I picked one up as well from MVB, froze it, thawed it, seared it, slow cooked it & sliced it for fajitas - amazing! Great flavour, reminded me of my trips to the south-west.

2011 Jan 15
I am here to report that I'll be happy to cut you a tri tip at Lavergne, but give me a heads up first because it normally goes into the mix for ground. I watched one go in the other day. If enough demand gets shown I'm sure they'll start just leaving it on the sirloin tip and setting it aside with that primal until a request is made.