Figs [General]

2010 Nov 8
Hello,

I'm looking for canned figs - anyone know where I can get these? I'd rather fresh ones, but they are hard to come by and I've got a craving.

Thank you.

2010 Nov 8
I saw fresh ones at the Byward Fruit Market in the Byward Market. www.bywardfruit.com

2010 Nov 8
I have seen these all over the market and in wellington west. In the market, the Byward Fruit Market has them, and I believe I saw a few cases at Bottega. In Wellington West, Il Negozio has them.

Good luck!

2010 Nov 8
I have occasionally seen them at Farm Boy (in Ottawa South and on Merivale) as well as Nicastros on Merivale. Many bulk foods and Middle Eastern stores carry the dried ones on a regular basis. You would have to soak them overnight then cook them in a little water with a sliced lemon tossed in.

2010 Nov 8
T&T has fresh figs all the time.

2010 Nov 10
Canned figs? what are they canned in syrup,water,juice?
I havenever heard of canned figs.

I used to like candied figs from Krinos brand,but those are hard to find thesedays.
My parents used to buy those in a glass jar growing up,but I have no idea who carries those-they are in a sugar syrup. Good but very sweet.

I remember I emailed Krinos Canada about a product and commented on the figs and they actually mailed me a jar :)

I have seen fresh figs at Nicastros.

2011 Apr 26
Thanks everyone.

I have another weird question. I bought some dried figs and cooked them in port, jam, butter and roasted them with honey and vanilla pods.

How long would these last in the refridgerator? The shelf life for the ingredients seems quite long, but I'm no expert.

Thanks!

2017 Feb 3
If anyone is looking for some figs in sugar syrup that are in a glass jar, Ottawa Roastery on Kilborn has some that are a product of Lebanon and also happen to have some walnuts in the jar too.

A 300ml jar is $5 and the brand is Judi Mountain.
-I was there for other items and now they carry a whole bunch of jams, Polish chocolates and even Oskri protein bars....

2017 Feb 3
Do they have just the walnuts?
I got a jar of those from Middle East Market a while ago and they were like crack, without all the paranoia and shakes and abdominal pain. Still bad for the teeth tho'.