War Time Recipes [Recipes]

2010 Nov 8
NS archives put an old cookbook online. Use the "pages" buttons at the bottom to flip through it.

gov.ns.ca

2010 Nov 8
Nice find, I will look through that.

The Archives has some historical Canadian cookbook info online: www.collectionscanada.gc.ca

The New Galt has been in my bookmarks for ages: www.collectionscanada.gc.ca

2010 Nov 11
Very interesting--I will definitely look at this!

2010 Nov 11
Just looked at this--can't wait to show my mom-in-law--she will enjoy this memorabilia as she was a war bride with hubby overseas with the air force during the 2nd ww! Poignant today...Tx

2010 Nov 30
It's like an old book I bought a few years ago found at the bottom of an old pile in the back of a book store, Out of Old Nova Scotia Kitchens. It's full of great recipes like Buick Pudding with Gasoline Sauce.

Actually, after looking at all the pages online, I like mine better.
The Rum Bread is a particular favourite.

I agree with the shortbread recipe on page 38: sugar, butter, flour. Each one twice as much as the last. Use brown sugar if you have it. 3 ingredients to heaven.

What I love about wartime recipes is that they have a lot of replacement ingredients and not a lot of sugar (which was rationed).

2010 Nov 30
I just pulled out my copy of "Out of Old Nova Scotia Kitchens" this morning to check the recipe for Acadian Pork Pie Tourtieres but my copy doesn't have a recipe for Buick Pudding. My copy is from May 1978....is yours an older version?

2010 Nov 30
You're right. I can't find it there either. It must be in some old New Brunswick recipe book.

For those who need to know:

Buick Pudding and Gasoline Sauce

2 cups apples, chopped
1/2 cup sugar, white
1 1/2 cups flour
2 tsps baking powder
1/2 cup milk

Mix chopped apples well with other ingredients and spread in a deep baking pan.

Make a sauce with the following and pour over the above mixture:

1 cup brown sugar
2 cups hot water
1/4 cup butter
1 tsp vanilla

Boil together until all sugar is dissolved. Pour over above apple mixture and bake in a 350 degree oven for 1/2 hour or until done.

2010 Nov 30
If you are a real sentimentalist you could switch this up by adding sucanat (for sugar), wholewheat or spelt flour (for regular flour) and carry on--it won't be quite the same but should end up ok and healthier.