Car Snacks for Road Trip [General]

2010 Oct 27
Hi Ottawa Foodies!

Leaving soon for a road trip to a family wedding in the States. I was just getting together some snacks for the car (even though we'll probably be stopping).

What are some of your favourite snacks/goodies to have in the car for a long drive?

2010 Oct 27
beef jerky & red bull.

2010 Oct 27
dried and fresh fruit to combat the greasy road food you'll inevitably also be eating :)

2010 Oct 27
Thanks zymurgist! Great list from last post.

2010 Oct 27
Dry cured sausage from the other list is something I like to bring. German Landjaeger if you can find it.

2010 Oct 28
Costco has a crazy huge bag of trail mix with dried mango/kiwi/bananas/peanuts/etc... Also, they had a bag of Asian style crackers that were pretty good.

2010 Oct 28
cheese curds

2010 Oct 28
That Costco trail mix that Woten's referring to is deadly. I keep eating it and eating it until I hit one of the fabled strawberries.

And then I go back for more.

2010 Oct 29
zymurgist`s suggestion of Landjaeger can usually be found at the sausage kitchen.

When getting large quantities of mixes and things, (if I have the time) I tend to portion them out into smaller containers as It makes me aware of how much I have been eating, helps keep things neat and can make it easier for sharing.

Then the predictable usual suspects; pita & dips, nuts, veggie sticks and cut fruit.

When eating meals, we try and stay away from chain restaurants (except for bathroom and coffee drink stops) and go for local chains or mom & pop stops. It helps the adventure factor on the trip and can make it far more memorable. By the way, we love this site for meal stop recommendations. www.roadfood.com (I also try to travel with some essentials; water, keep the tooth brush & paste handy or gum that is low sugar (tooth brushing sort), Advil, Aleeve, Pepto, Imodium...)

Remember that crossing the boarder usually means you need to pay attention to what foods you bring and often a change in tactics. (www.gonorthwest.com) We often bring a bunch of water, a small cooler with ice, a small cutting board, a paring knife (with a guard on it), few empty zip baggies and/or plastic containers and for simplicity sake, plan on hitting a grocery store or two on the other side (with a plan for what we want to eat).

2010 Oct 29
agree with live4food - go for mom & pop restaurants and skip chains. depending on where you are going there might not be a lot of choice along the highway, you will have to go into the nearest town (which isn't always that close).

i find i tend to start to feel gross after a really long time in the car, so stopping, getting out and eating in the fresh air is good. lots of water, fresh fruit and veggies.

for american junk food, i always have to buy a 100 grand chocolate bar and some nutter butter cookies.