Cold-weather pot-luck stand-by recipes [General]

2010 Oct 23
What's your favourite cold-weather pot-luck recipe? I find that big hockey games or weekend get-togethers are great times for a pot-luck spread.

Do you have any favourite stand-by dishes? There can be such variety at these, and amongst foodies a lot of imagination, as well.

Ours is Chili, but made with a twist or two. Chili is also a great theme for a cook-off between friends and neighbours, as chili recipes are like snowflakes, no two are alike.

Here's a link to our approach to chili. (Yes, the recipe really does have prunes and bourbon)

New Posting: It's Hockey Season - Time for Chili!
tinyurl.com/HMChili

Rob and Happy Mouth

2010 Oct 28
I wish I had a cold-weather pot-luck recipe, but I don't do my choices seasonally. Bacon-wrapped dates are great in any weather, though ;)

2010 Oct 28
For fall potlucks I like to do a sausage and sauerkraut dish. It is surprising how many people haven't tasted sauerkraut.

If I really like the participants I like to do a mean chicken and dumplings.

2010 Nov 4
Cabbage rolls--or even better a layered cabbage casserole that has all the ingredients of the rolls without the work. Just google "cabbage roll casserole" and you will find way too many recipes...but choose the flavours and ingredients you like to get the proportions correct. I do always use savoy cabbage as it is less "gassy" than the regular green! I also use brown rice for added nutrition.

2010 Nov 5
My wife just made a massive batch of cabbage roll casserole yesterday, and put a good 8 or 10 containers of it in the freezer

urbanhippy.ca

2010 Nov 15
Zym, I made your recipe last night! it's really good. What an inexpensive recipe to make! I modified it slighty, but pretty much followed your directions. I will post pictures later.

2010 Nov 15
Glad to hear it Poutine.

While on this topic, yesterday I made a massive batch of meatballs and sauce for meatball sandwiches. We all love them. And it was my first attempt at canning meatballs - worked a charm! Now I have 6 jars of meatball sandwich ready to go :-)

Would post a recipe but it would not do you any good because it was basically opening 2 jars of my preserves (1 litre of chow, 1 litre of pasta sauce), pureeing them together, and mixing in a bit of brown sugar and applesauce. Really awesome sweet and sour sauce.