Ottawa Magazine's Top 10 List 2010 by Food Editor Shawna Wagman [General]

2010 Oct 21
Shawna Wagman of Ottawa Magazine has taken on a different twist for coming up with Ottawa Magazine's Top Ten List for 2010 - Where To Eat Right Now. You will need to get the magazine to read her thinking on the Ottawa food scene and why she made these picks.

I was lucky enough to be the first person in Ottawa to put down coin for the November issue, which was made available at Britton's in the Glebe today. What timing for deciding that today was the day I needed veal stock from the Glebe Meat Market! The magazine will be widely distributed tomorrow.

Here is her coveted list:

Castlegarth
Town
The Wellington Gastropub
Fraser Café
The Whalesbone Oyster House
Atelier
Play Food & Wine
Bistro St. Jacques
Absinthe
Taylor's Genuine Food & Wine Bar

I have tried them all except for Whalesbone and Bistro St. Jacques and know that those on this list are strong establishments.

Only 4 from this list are going to the Gold Medal Plates competition in November. Fraser Café, Whalesbone, Atelier and Play.

The Gold Medal Plates contenders not making Shawna's list are: The Urban Pear, Zen Kitchen, Murray Street Kitchen, Les Fougères, Harvest (actually in Picton) and Narvarra.

Missing from last year's Top 10 is: Beckta Dining & Wine, Domus Café, Le Baccara, Restaurant Ei8hteen, Benitz Bistro, Allium, The Urban Pear, Navarra and Juniper. In fact the only one of the Top 10 to stay on the list into 2010 was The Wellington Gastropub.

Some may also wonder about The Black Cat, Le Café, Farbs Kitchen, Sweetgrass Aboriginal, Perspectives, Social and Luxe as contenders in the past for top recognition in the city, whether on the Ottawa Magazine's 10 Ten List, formerly constructed by Chris Knight, or some that have gone to Gold Medal Plates.

Well, the politics is out of the bag. And in a city that seems to know politics best! Enjoy the buzz on this topic over the next week.

Although I have a soft spot for Allium and thought it should have made Shawna's list, what I see when I pull back and take the broad view on this, is how lucky for us to have so many great choices brimming over on our lists of stellar eateries here in Ottawa. What a nice problem to have.

Get the magazine! This article in particular is a great read.

2010 Oct 21
Look forward to this reading. Actually finally went to the Wellington Gastropub tonight...no one will be surprised to hear it was awesome. I've been wondering about the roadtrip to Castlegarth so this will be fun to read!

2010 Oct 22
are these ranked 1 thru 10?

2010 Oct 22
I humbly submit the Ottawa Mag item is a very well-written piece. Better written than ever before.

Having said that, the reality is this is not Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal. As exciting as the emerging venue is in Ottawa, we are still a discovering (and exciting) culinary city.

I think we have a lot of fun dining experiences to search and enjoy. But, given our population base, when it comes to anyone's opinion about the Top Ten anything it is entirely subjective. Yes, no, take it with salt.

I submit, Ottawa mag loves its Top Ten list because it sells magazines. It is a popular topic, however superficial. Whether it is germane is, well, beside the point.

Go forward. Dine. Enjoy. That's really the point.

2010 Oct 23
I did not take the list to be numbered when I read Shawna's article. I read it as a collection of 10. Only Shawna knows for sure!

As an FYI, tonight being date night, I decided to knock off one of my unknowns. We went over to Hull to Bistro St-Jacques and am I ever glad we did. I made some very good choices! We had the pleasure of being served by one of the owners and we also had a great chinwag with chef Christopher Mulder.

I have to agree with Omnivore's Ottawa on Shawna's writing. She has been a breath of fresh air since she has busted onto the blogging scene under Ottawa Magazine's masthead. To then see her put together the Where To Eat Now Top Ten List this year, made her work a sharp contrast to the magazine's articles I read last year and the year before. The magazine must be pleased with her.

2010 Oct 28
So I am assuming that Shawna's review replaces the one that Chris Knight used to do. Am I right in that regard? If so, I might actually pick it up this year. While I don't wish people ill, I must the attitude exhibited in last year's piece was indefensible and something I can do without. The positive comments above suggest that this piece is much more positive.... something I am glad to hear.

Cheers

2010 Oct 29
If anyone wants to chat live with Shawna on her resto choices (or their own Top 10), she'll be at Brittons in the Glebe tomorrow (Sat) 12-2.