Vegan cheese? [General]

2010 Oct 18
Has anyone had any luck finding an edible vegan cheese? Specifically mozzarella? My husband is allergic to all components of milk (lactose, whey, casein), and some soy cheeses have casein (as we discovered after he got quite sick after eating Amy's Organic Pizza with soy cheese :()

We have had the Rice Cheez and it was....well, revolting (AND EXPENSIVE!), so I thought maybe rather than making random purchases I'd see if anyone here has had any luck.

We're looking for a pizza topping, so it doesn't have to be "stand alone" good.

Thanks so much!!!!

2010 Oct 18
My wife was in Chicago and had a grilled "cheese" made with this product:

www.daiyafoods.com/

She was really impressed and declared it the holy grail of vegan cheese because of its excellent meltiness.

The website lists places in Ottawa that carry it.

2010 Oct 18
I checked retailers in Ontario--only 2, both in Toronto for now.
Just checked Quebec...one only...Bertozzi Imports - Anjou, Quebec
7539 M. B Jodoin St
H1J 2H9
(514)-322-1781

2010 Oct 19
I tried the Daiya cheese.
bought it at Billings Bridge mall.

but when I bought it the packaging was weird. guess the store buys it in bulk and they had put it in small plastic tubs and there was still one of the bags of shreds in the fridge,like they were not done filling the tubs there.

The "cheese" was good,but i do not think the shelf life is very long for this product.

2010 Oct 19
Thanks everyone! I will look into Daiya cheese :)

2010 Oct 19
The delightful Lana of the Apron Strings blog recently bought a slew of vegan cheese (like, full on 10 pounds worth). She'd be worth getting in touch with. twitter.com/lana_stewart or apronstrings.ca

2010 Nov 1
Thank so much, Lady Who Brunches! It seems like Daiya is the clear winner here (that 10lbs was all Daiya!), and now I have a great new blog to read as well! Awesome!

2010 Nov 8
So it appears as though Daiya is out of stock (meaning the supplier itself, so no Ottawa stores have it at the moment), but the new Herb and Spice in Westboro intends to get it soon.

I am happy to report, though, that I grabbed a brick of Vegan Gourmet (mozzarella flavour) from the Westboro Superstore last night (natural food refrigerator section), and it was delicious. It melted and tasted like a mild mozzarella. We were delighted with the result, so while I'm very excited to try Daiya, I will certainly be happy with Vegan Gourmet until then.

2010 Nov 10
Tina Are you still keeping an eye out for Daiya cheese? I am following Rainbow Foods on Twitter and they just sent a tweet out saying they just got their shipment of Daiya cheese...

2010 Nov 10
What out of stock?
I was just at Natural Foods Pantry Billings Bridge location at 7pm tonight and they now had the Daiya cheese "mozzarella" style and "cheddar" style in sealed branded bags-and not the repackaged tubs i saw before.

I think it was around $5-6 for 200 grams.
it looked good and would have bought but I already have so much food here,gotta eat that first.

So, if you go to Natural food pantry or call first they have it today!
mall also open thursday Rememberance day.....and my birthday :)

2010 Nov 11
So does this stuff taste/feel good? If it's not great I don't want to waste the $ or effort to check it out. I really have tried lots and haven't found a good replacement I can recommend for true cheese lovers. What is ok for processed cheese people is different than pure cheese folks...

2014 Jun 13
There was a recommendation for one today "Go Veggie!" on Plant Based Junkies (on FB). Apparently tastes like cheese and melts like cheese.

These are getting better all the time.

www.facebook.com

2015 Feb 7
I have to try this . . . potato and carrots ! Who would have thought ?

www.veggieonapenny.com

Ingredients

2 C. potatoes, diced large
1 C. carrots, diced large
1/2 C. water
1/3 C. olive oil
2 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. lemon juice (fresh is best!)
1/2 C. nutritional yeast flakes
1/4 tsp. onion powder (opt.)
1/4 tsp. garlic powder (opt.)
dash of cayenne (opt.)
1/2 tsp. McKay's chicken-style seasoning, vegan (opt.)

Instructions

Boil the potatoes and carrots until soft.
Blend potatoes and carrots together along with the rest of the ingredients on high in blender until the cheese is extremely smooth. I use my high-powered VitaMix blender.
Store in refrigerator for up to a week.

Notes

This cheese will melt just like real cheese! If it sets up a little in your fridge, just microwave it for about 30 seconds—it will soften up again so it’s easy to spread.
I linked this recipe to Vegan Yumminess, because the talented author of that food blog is Megan’s sister, the one that gave me this recipe! Lindsay has a beautiful and creative food blog that I love to browse through.

2015 Sep 12
www.onegreenplanet.org

Best vegan cheese brands update . . .

(they are getting better and better)

2015 Sep 19
Pizza without cheese is good also.
I had some at Whole Foods and they also have one that is vegan and has some Daiya cheese on it- Field and Forest pizza- it had vegan cheese,mushrooms,tomato.

But, often I get a pizza-like pie at Prince Ali bakery with no cheese at all and it is really good.
They do not have the veggie pie ready,but it takes 5 minutes for them to bake one.
-they use chopped red and yellow pepper,tomato,onion- kind of like a salsa/sauce but not really,the vegetables are chopped up and then they top their pie with it and it is served folded in 1/2.
So, it looks like a small pizza folded in half.

Cost around $3 and very filling. Also extremely hot out of the oven,so be careful carrying and eating it.
They do not keep well,after a couple hours the vegetables make the pie dough a bit soggy.
I have a picture of the veg pie somewhere,I'll have to try and find it...

2016 Jan 31
Brie from cashews !

2016 Feb 20
Vegan cheese isn't new . . .

www.archaeologyhub.info

2016 Feb 20
Francis,

How was the brie from cashews?

2016 Feb 20
Francis, I don't think that ancient cheese was vegan. They specify that they studied it to make sure it wasn't milk or butter -- as opposed to cheese, which isn't milk or butter -- presumably because they couldn't be sure due to its age. They also state that it was probably lactose-free, but most aged hard cheeses are naturally lactose-free.

2016 Feb 20
I didn't know that flandroid. I assumed because it was lactose free it was not made from milk.

2016 Feb 21
Bacteria eat the lactose and turn it into lactic acid, or in the case of washed/drained cheese, almost all of the lactose leaves with the whey.

Cheddar, Parmigiano, Provolone, Emmental, most blues, and tons of others are generally plenty safe for people with lactose intolerance. Which means you can either make their day by telling them it's fine, or roll your eyes when they turn down a 36-month Gouda saying they wish they could, but would spend the next three days on the toilet. Your call, but keep in mind the latter leaves more cheese for the rest of us.