Help Identify Mystery Vegetable [General]

2010 Oct 16

This is my first posting, so I hope this is appropriate.

Can any one identify the vegetable in the attached photo? I have organic veggies delivered, and this was in the basket this week. Next query would be: what do I do with it?

Glen
In Ottawa

2010 Oct 16
romanesco - use it like broccoli or cauliflower!

2010 Oct 16
This is a Fractalish Cauliflower

2010 Oct 16
Hrmmm - are those one in the same?

2010 Oct 16
What company delivers your produce?

I just tried one new company that delivers organic,but do not know who else there is in ottawa.

2010 Oct 17
Romanesco, we also had this in our basket this week supplied by Ottawa Organics.

2010 Oct 17
Yeah, the mystery vegetables with absolutely no indication as to what they were is one of the reasons we eventually left one of the biggest and best known organic CSAs in town.

2010 Oct 18

Really? You'd pass up on local organic produce because you may not know what a particular vegetable was? I mean, how many unknown varieties could there be?

I've been receiving a basket for a number of years and have maybe received 5 or 7 items I had to look up. And the good news is....they are easy to look up on your internet machine.

For the OP: Try roasting your romanesco with some oil, salt & pepper and serve with some parm cheese.

2010 Oct 18
I see Zym's point about communicating what the unknowns are, but i agree with food fun that really, at the end of the day, that's a fairly small trifle to deal with

2010 Oct 18
Sorry I didn't include some sort of preparation of the romanesco, food fun gave a good recommendation but I would include a little garlic & crushed chili in the mix as well. Enjoy!

2010 Oct 18
W/re to Zym's comment -- it was a combo of the "mystery veg" problem and the difficulties in meal planning around what we received each week. I actually started to dislike cooking because of being unable to plan the week in advance. I prefer to pick and plan my "unknowns". ;)

2010 Oct 18

2010 Oct 19
The company I was with they included one recipe for the vegetable each week.
last week it was collard greens.
the recipe was collar greens saute with bacon and it sait to serve w balsamic vinegar.

the reason I prob will not stay with the organic delivery I have is most items seem to be US produce.

like US cauliflower,pears,banana..oh and in the notes I said I "hate bananas" and they sent me a bunch of bananas.

2010 Oct 19
Food Fun - I can get local organic produce that is "normal" vegetables. And where the farmer tells you what everything is just in case you may not know. I consider that a pretty basic service - being told what the heck you are buying. And so it was (and it seems still is) to me a pretty major shortcoming of the places which do not tell you what everything is.

2010 Oct 19
Prettytasty; I am sure it was an oversight and I highly doubt that someone would give you something you hate on purpose. (No, I do not know which place you are referring to and no, I have nothing to do with them.) Let them know about your concerns and that they messed up. Give them an opportunity to compensate/correct things.

2010 Nov 30
Pretty Tasty:

Sorry for the delay in my follow-up.

My veggies are delivered by Bryson Farms, based in Shawville Quebec. They deliver to my doorstep each Tuesday. I get a basket of fresh organic veggies (geared for a family of four -- there are different sized baskets) for $60.00/week, (all inclusive).

Not cheap, by any stretch, and the odd "mystery veggie" can be a bit frustrating.... but, after 5 years, I have no intention to halt the service.

www.brysonfarms.com/

Cheers,
Glen,
In Ottawa

2010 Nov 30
$60 is not bad for a family of 4.
I was with Organics Delivered and a box every 2 weeks that is supposed to be enough for 2 people was $45.

Not much of it was "local" and I'm not too sure what was as it was not listed.
I also was getting a lot of US produce when the same items were still in season here.
Like some broccoli and cauliflower, I remember the ones I got were Earthbound Farms from the US.
Nothing "wrong" with that brand, but I would rather have one cauliflower and not both if it is that brand. I can get those at the grocery store too.

I am not going to use the Organics Delivered service just because it is too much for one person and even if it was every 2 weeks I am wasting too much.
Also, it is hard for me to eat $45 of vegetables and fruits every 2 weeks even though I do eat a lot.
I can not eat 3 big meals a day,even if it was just fruits and vegetables.

The good thing about Organics Delivered is that it is year round,and for organic items the price is decent.
But for myself, I am going to just get some items from the farmers coop in hull and some stuff at the grocery store.
the farmer coop in hull, you do not have to order every week,just place an order when you want,but you have to pick up your items.

Farm Boy merivale rd was also selling these this week for $2.99 ea
My receipt said it was a Romaneski, guess "Farm Boy" can't spell that well?