Korean Cooking [Cooking]

2010 Oct 15
I didn't see a topic on this so forgive me if I am double posting.

I started eating Korean food only last year and it is quickly catching up to Chinese as my favourite food. Unlike most people who generally stick to BBQ I fell in love with jjigae. I have never been a big spicy food fan but somehow I am able to take the spice in Korean cooking better than in others. The heat doesn't seem to burn as long and I can still taste the food.

In the last 4 months I have started to cook it at home with moderate success. Bulgogi (meat or stew) is pretty simplistic but it has a long marinade time so you need to think ahead a bit. Lately, I have been experimenting with different pastes to see what happens. I am trying to perfect Kimchi and Soon-doo-boo (Sundubu) broth and it isn't easy. Most recipes on line can't seem to agree at all. I was told by the lady who owns Arum that their cooks use a chili powder for Soondooboo so I need to get some. I've been using a red chill paste that has made pretty good jjigae so i will finish using that up then get some powder.

Anyone else here cook Korean? Feel free to share tips and recipes if you like. I love talking about it as it gets me hungry and excited to make more. I think a trip to the market might be in order tonight :D

2010 Oct 15
I've purchased Korean chili powder (actually small red flakes) in large bags from both Arum and BestPrice Oriental Market in the past. I use it to make Kimchi but, like you, am still trying to find the perfect recipe.

I'm also a huge fan of Jjigae! I haven't tried to make it at home yet, mostly because it would make my kids cry. :-)

2010 Oct 15
Yeah I won't subject my kids to that kind of hot food for sure! My 11 year old likes to help me make the Bulgogi marinade though.

As for Kimchi I am working my way up to that but I am sur that will be quite an adventure.

2010 Oct 15
I also love Korean food and make jigae, among other things. I have a Korean cookbook that I really like, but I just moved and haven't unpacked it yet so can't give any specifics. Everything I've made has been great. It's called 'Growing up in a Korean Kitchen'. Here's the Chapters link:
www.chapters.indigo.ca

2010 Oct 15
Wednesday night we made Dolsot bibimbap for dinner, which turned into an impromptu dinner party for four. The other couple is now a big fan and open to trying more Korean foods. The guy called today asking what that dish we ate was called as he has been having vivid food memories of it and wants to have it again and need to know what to order at a restaurant. (Victory!!!)

Got two of the stone bowls at the Galleria Supermarket north of Toronto and two of the bowls at a store on Bank. Bought my favorite Korean cookbook; "Eating Korean: From Barbecue to Kimchi, Recipes from My Home" ( www.chapters.indigo.ca,0 ) from Arum Korean Market on Bank and love it! The lady who works there said that if I/we ever had any problems with a dish she would help us troubleshoot it. The younger guy who also works there has been very helpful with recommendations about dishes (to eat at the restaurant or to cook) and ingredients. Can't say enough about the place and the staff.

2010 Oct 15
Q: What did Will Smith ask when he ordered rice at a Korean restaurant?

A: "Can I get jjigae wit it?"

We are having tangsuyuk tonight. Another favourite at home is takdoritang, which is like a spicy chicken stew with potatoes and carrots. Various cold noodle dishes find their way onto the dinner table too, like bibimkuksu. - spicy, cold noodles with pear and cuke slices.

I'll plug my friend's korean cooking site here:
www.maangchi.com/recipes/

2010 Oct 16
i make kimchi jigae sometimes at home (when no one else is here) and i got my recipe from a korean coworker when i was working in seoul.. it's super easy. i just put a bunch of kimchi (reserve the liquid) in a pot with some butter and fry it until it goes clear. then i add whatever else i want in it (veggies, meat) and fry it for a few more minutes, then i add in a bunch of the kimchi juice that i have on reserve with some water until it tastes the way i want it to and simmer it for a while. that's it! it's delicious.

2010 Nov 1
Thanks for all the replies.

Travelicious and live4food when you guys get time I would appreciate a review of your books. I'd be up for buying one in the future.

Maangchi is a great place to look for recipes and she is quite entertaining as well.

I find my friends are hit and miss on Korean. Most people just aren't prepared for the spicy stews. Can't say I don't warn them ahead of time :D