Poutine Gravy [Cooking]

2010 Oct 14
I am going to visit my sister in Memphis next month and want to take her an Ottawa care package. She LOVES poutine and I will (discretely) bring her some St. Albert cheese curds. I was wondering what success any of you have had with instant/canned gravies for poutine?

Thanks!

2010 Oct 14
In a pinch, I've used the St.Hubert powdered and canned gravy. I found the powdered stuff was better, personally.

2010 Oct 14
I thought most places used canned or packaged gravy?
I know one chipwagon I go to they use powdered gravy and they have the old plastic buckets of the Berthelet brand (which is what st huberts uses or used to use anyways).

so I think going with the powdered gravy is a good choice..I guess.
Also to make it even more authentic you can have the lady who peels the patates outside smoke at the same time while she peels the taters and throws them in a bucket of water

-really I have seen them at the place I get fries do this a few times.
I guess it is ok they smoke since it is outside anyways.

2010 Oct 14
I agree with KV wholeheartedly.

2010 Oct 15
Prettytasty...why peel the potatoes?

powdered gravy is best...add cream to cut down the salty taste. Also, add pepper.

2010 Oct 15
cream! good idea.. hrmm.. poutine weekend? :)

2010 Oct 15
Maybe make some fresh gravy when you go down? It is rather easy and you can just use a can of soup broth instead of cooking your own from scratch (although scratch is preferred).

1 can of Campbell's chicken soup (or beef)
1/2 - 1 can of water (to your taste)

Rue
2-3 tbsp. butter
All-purpose flour

In a small pot melt the butter then add a bit of flour and mix. Continue adding flour until really dry and stiff. Heat up your broth then add the rue slowly until the gravy is to your desired thickness (It gets thick fast so watch it).

Presto all done. You should have the rue done by the time your broth is boiling.
Time - 6 minutes

2010 Oct 15
TreeBob - thanks - sounds SO delicious. I will make her a batch, but will bring some dry so she can make it when she wants (not quite a foodie like me).

Spud Guy - cream - great tip! Thanks! I'll have to tell her all the input that went into her care package ;-)

2010 Oct 16
I usually do not peel much of the potato at home.
I know New York fries they do not peel them and they are fine.

The chipwagon, I always see people outside during the day peeling the potatoes-like when I pass by on the bus....

Lol,
Rue...isn't that a street (in French anyways).

Did you mean Roux?

2010 Nov 1
I suppose I did mean roux although it is commonly spelled rue on the net (Yes I know it isn't proper). I am good at making food, not good at spelling. ;)