168 Sushi [Food/Vendor]

2010 Oct 14
Hi everyone,

Noticed there is a 168 Sushi Buffet opening soon on Meadowlands just off Merivale.

I imagine it is the same 168 Sushi found in Brampton and Mississauga.

This is all the information i have right now, anybody have any more info?

2010 Oct 14
Confirmed! It is the same as the ones found in the GTA.

www.168sushibuffet.com/

2010 Oct 15
Is the one in Toronto any good?

2010 Oct 15
I've had it once and it was very good. I know people that go there regularly and love it. It should compete well with Sushi Kan.

Opening is tentatively set for mid-December.

2010 Dec 31
It is official! 168 Sushi Buffet is now open! (as of Dec. 30, 2010) The place is huge so I can see how it will be healthy competition to the other sushi buffets. The decor was modern but not overly cluttered.

We were a bit skeptical of the quality of the food at first since it was the first night they opened. It wasn't overly busy but I think many people were there to "try" the new place. Sakura across the street will need to find a way to get its customers back!!

Service was very attentive, probably because they just opened. We had a dedicated waiter but everytime any other staff passed by our table, they would ask us if we needed anything which is very proactive! You'd NEVER see this at Sakura.

The sushi/sashimi was fresh but their menu contained items you wouldn't find at other sushi buffet places (good and bad). For instance, they had the dimsum siu mai, pad thai, garlic bread, fries...not very conventional.
Their corn soup was not what we thought it would be (no corn). The hand rolls were delicious. The baby mushroom beef rolls tasted different. But the sashimi was fresh (similar to other places in Ottawa).

Also, soda (coke, 7up, iced tea) is included in the price. Deserts like ice cream were also included but we especially enjoyed the unlimited fried bananas.

Price wise, it is a bit more than other sushi buffets ($20.95 on a weekday). Yummy Sushi in chinatown gives membership stamps and Sakura offers 5% off cash $19.99 on weekdays. All in all, is it worth paying $3-5 more/person for the soda, service, decor, deserts?

Decor: 7
Service: 8
Food: 7
Price: 7

2011 Jan 1
As someone missing 168 Market (I always just assumed it was their address on Somerset), I wondered about the name of this new place...

You may all have known already but, clueless, I just checked into it and 168 means “road of prosperity” or to “be prosperous together”. For Chinese it's considered one of the luckiest numbers and is often found in business names.

p.s. T&T means "Invasive Big Guy". Kidding. Kind of. :)

2011 Feb 20
I would say that this place is pretty bad. We went for weekend lunch, half full at the time, AYCE menu.

Decor: 6
Nice exterior with art deco sinks, but men's washroom was too small and had no hot water or paper towel dispenser. Just a pile of paper towels. The main area is impressive except they use mirrors to make it look 2x as big.

Service: 2
Refill and service was prompt but that ridiculous menu and item sheet needs to be edited and redone. Servers also made several mistakes and food on the 1st order came after 2nd order. Plastic tea cup was not washed, hopefully they washed the replacement one. They also cut up that order paper and give each part to specific food prep. But they put the order paper ON or IN the food to minimize errors, quietly removing it before getting to your table. WTF, Health inspector is going to have a field day with them. If you are near food prep don't look at your meal before it gets to your table. No hand-sanitizer anywhere for customers or staff. Sushi guys constantly talking while preparing food, no facemasks, gloves, or hairnets(black hats).

Food: 2
Sushi was warm because the prep guy left it in the microwave way too long and you could tell this was not sushi-grade meat. Rolls fell apart and they don't taste very good because of the cheapness of the ingredients. Take a look at the front and it is all bulk fish of low quality. I'm not sure why other posters mentioned it was "fresh". Meat is almost always frozen unless it was just caught or killed (like in costal Japan). Salmon was creamy white-orange (cheap) and we stopped ordering sushi after that. Unfortunatley, the only other stuff on the menu was "Chinese" food which was doused in oil and the Korean beef was tough. Anything with avacado or mayo was just terrible. Obviously no fresh wasabi, just the toothpaste horseradish stuff. I was quite surprised that each dish came with a side of lettuce and garnish carrots, but unfortnuately other sides were loaded with oil doused vegetables. Tempura was good/hot/crunchy and desert ice cream was good, but the main draw of sushi and meats really left me disappointed.

Price: 5
Well I wouldn't say they overcharged as its the same price range as SushiKan, but I would rather just get a $10 T&T sushi combo instead of this.