Green tomatoes - recipe ideas? [General]

2010 Oct 6
A few of my tomato plants didn't get quite the heat to ripen all of the tomatoes so I have a fair amount of green ones that I'd like to use up. Any clever ideas?

I'm thinking either a Mexican inspired salsa or pickling them, but I'd welcome any suggestions or recipes. Probably won't be frying them. Thanks.

2010 Oct 6
Aha! A couple of weeks ago, I watched a couple of shows on the Food Network, and they were doing green tomatoes.

Green Tomato Relish
Pickled (as you have already noted)

But the one that looked the most interesting, is Green Tomato pie! This one comes courtesy of Paula Deen.

Ingredients
Crust:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 cup butter-flavored shortening (recommended: Crisco)
1/2 cup cold water
Filling:
1 1/4 cups sugar (brown)
2 tablespoons tapioca flour
1 teaspoon grated orange zest
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 cup raisins
5 green tomatoes, or enough to fill pie crust, thinly sliced
Glaze:
1 slightly beaten egg white
Sugar, for sprinkling
Directions
For the crust:

Sift together flour, salt, sugar, and baking powder into a bowl. Cut shortening into flour mixture with a pastry cutter or fork until mixture resembles cornmeal. Stir in 1/4 cup of the cold water, then add remaining 1/4 cup and mix until combined. Cover dough and allow it to rest in refrigerator for 30 minutes.

Divide dough in half. Place on lightly floured board and pat out. Using a rolling pin, roll out 1 piece of dough to the size of a 9-inch pie pan. Put crust in pan and trim off excess dough around the edge. Roll out second ball of dough for pie crust top.

For the filling:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Mix sugar, tapioca, zest, cinnamon, nutmeg, and raisins in a large bowl. Lay tomato slices in pie crust. Sprinkle mixture over tomatoes. (Overlapping will occur but tomatoes will shrink in size when baked.) Gently lay top pie crust over filling, tucking in the extra crust around the edges. Pinch dough with fingers or butter knife to seal edges. Using a knife, make 4 to 6 slits in top of crust to allow steam to escape. Brush top with egg white and sprinkle with a little sugar to give your crust a shine.

Place pie in the preheated oven and bake for 25 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350 degrees F. and continue to bake for 20 more minutes. Cool on wire rack.

2010 Oct 6
Chow Chow Pickles. I may have posted a recipe on this site already - no time to look at the moment but I'll check later.

2010 Oct 6
Cornmeal crusted, pan-fried green tomatoes with a little aioli sauce to go with them... delicious.

Alternatively, roast/broil them with garlic, shallots, jalapenos, puree the mess & add fresh coriander, epazote if you have some, lime juice and olive oil, seasoning and you've got a nice salsa verde.

2010 Oct 6
Just made fried green tomatoes from Dinosaur BBQ cookbook .... fantastic!! They serve a yummy buttermilk dressing with it.

2010 Oct 6
Could not find my recipe on this site so here it is

urbanhippy.ca

Go easier on the allspice and cloves though

2010 Oct 7
I made a green tomatillo salsa a few weeks ago...my only regret was that I did not have more.
Underestimated how much I was making and then wished I had some left as it was really good.

Didn't really use a recipe. served with Nativa organic blue corn chips..Yum!

The pan fried and breaded tomatoes sounds really good!

2010 Oct 8
Looking forward to trying some of these ideas--we have a couple of wheelbarrows full...sigh...frost came early last week on the Carp Ridge.

2010 Oct 8
I make a green tomato chutney each fall. It's great with curries, roasted chicken, a condiment on burgers or hot dogs; wherever you want some tangy, tasty tomato goo. Lots of green tomatoes and onions sprinkled with salt, left overnight to draw out moisture. Drain, rinse. Cook with loads of cider vinegar, a little more salt, sugar and other ingredients till reduced by 1/2. I usually use green apples, raisins, jalapeno's, garlic, ginger, and spices (adding the flavor ingredients only at the last 15 minutes or so). Mason jar it; boiling water bath for 20 minutes. I realize that's imprecise but it's a variable dish; just make sure there's plenty of vinegar, salt and sugar and it should preserve fine (providing proper preservation methods are used of course).

2010 Oct 9
Thanks for the tip!
I did not realize you should/could use apple cider vinegar..another thing to buy.

I usually use red wine vinegar as that was what my parents and mother always used for salads (have never actual made chutney yet).
I think apple cider vinegar will be better in my eggplant salad.

So, you are supposed to salt the tomaters to make the water come out?
Is it the same with eggplant?
I have never done that yet,but I usually make salsa and sauces (and used to make salsas and sauces at a restaurant for 6 months a long time ago...)

I guess next time I make a eggplant dish I'll try and salt the eggplants to see if it helps any (my dish is good without doing this,but curious what it will add).

Maybe I'll go read my cooking reference book on cooking techniques and see what Cordon Bleu has to say...

2010 Oct 14
Thanks for all the ideas.

I went with a version of Chimichimi's suggestion, slightly modified based on what I had in on hand.

Broiled two handfuls of green tomatoes until slightly browned/blackened. Roasted 5 cloves of garlic and 5 tomatillos in a separate dish.

Pureed that in the food processor with 3 fresh shallots, handful of cilantro, pinch of mexican oregano, and a dash of hot sauce (forget to rehydrate any peppers and had no fresh hot ones), dash of smoked pimenton, S+P , 1 juiced lime and a splash of olive oil.

Used it on seared halibut, corn tortillas with a cabbage red/green pepper slaw with lime/sunflower oil/cilantro dressing.

Awesome. Thanks for the inspiration.

2010 Oct 14
See here for some more ideas:

tinyurl.com/2778e4v