Restaurant Coupons [General]

2010 Oct 3
You should really check out KOOPON.CA ... an Ottawa-based online coupon service. They are currently offering a greata deal at Host India, 622 Montreal Road. Get a $30 coupon for only $15. You should act now as the coupon expires soon. I've been there and the food is great.

2010 Oct 3
Groupon.com also has a very good deal.
Right now it is $50 gc for dinner for 1/2 price, so it is $25

Here is my referal link, and I hope that is ok and that some people do use it.
-I get a credit for people who sign up.

But today it is Todric's catering/restaurant and I heard that was really good.
I hope to use my groupon next saturday for my birthday meal :)

www.groupon.com/r/uu8519742

Direct link to the deal!
www.groupon.com/ottawa/

2010 Oct 4
I think Groupon has more of a following, I had never heard of Koopon.
I bought a $60.00 gift card for Foundation from Groupon for $30 recently and they have also had Urban Pear featured.

2010 Oct 4
Urban Pear!
kind of wish I knew that..I like the food there.

If you want a 2 for 1 for Urban Pear I know that the Entertainment book has a 2 for 1 coupon in it again this year.
you can also print a few coupons free on the entertainment website,bit you have to register..not too sure how the printing works as I have never tried that.

I actually heard of Koopon in one of the free newspapers.
so many of these coupon sites have been advertising in the free papers the last few weeks.

2010 Oct 6
Groupon's had quite a few good deals recently, not just limited to food. :)

2010 Oct 24
The market for these is getting busy. I've seen three being pushed so far:

* www.groupon.com/ottawa/
* koopon.ca/ottawa
* kahoot.ca

It's a clever business model. The website owns no real risk (aside from initial development and ongoing operating costs). The restaurants offer great deals with some expectation of net gain. And, because a certain number of coupons must be sold, the end consumers willingly do the advertising legwork required to make the deal happen. It's the modern-day version of the Entertainment Book, with a modicum of spam and pyramidal marketing thrown in.

So, do you think these services are here to stay or will they all be gone in a year or two? I guess it really comes down to whether or not the restaurants/businesses see any measurable benefit from their offers.

2010 Oct 25
I expect you'll see Groupon around for quite some time. They're very active in the US and only recently launched in Ottawa. I'm not sure about the rest though... I know of a 4th company as well and I can't see Ottawa being able to support that many coupon companies.

2010 Nov 10
Two more:

* wagjag.com
* livingsocial.com (only available via email)

Crazy!

2010 Nov 10
Cool. I heard about groupon, but not the others. I did buy and entertainment book this year from the neighbor's daughter who was raising money for her school. I got my money's worth back already, using coupons at lunchtime.

2010 Nov 10
There is also Auctionmart from the Citizen,but that is a gc auction and just twice a year-the Ottawa one ended last week.

lots of restaurants like Metropolitan brasserie, bought Todric's certificate this year and a natural food pantry one.

2010 Nov 11
I bought 50$ worth for 25$ for Juniper through Groupon. I used it already, no problems and no restrictions, it was great! I also purchased 30$ worth
for 15$ for Kiko Sushi Bar, through living social. For someone on a budget, this is the best way to go.

2011 Jan 6
Groupon today is $12 for $25 worth of dinner at Pelican Fishery and Grill

2011 Jan 6
Thank you Tre. Pelican is one of my favorite lunch spot...

2011 Jan 6
Thanks for bringing this thread up to the top! If I had remembered it I would have put my Ging Sing one here instead. I'll try to remember for next time...

2011 Jan 7
Pelican is usually good- but I have had 2 smallish issues lately.
A few days ago had the lobster poutine and it really seems like they forgot to put lobster on it.
There was maybe 2 small specks the size of peas.
They did use lobster bisque for the sauce.
For $10 was expecting a bit more lobster and more potatoes at least.

Second was did not get the free appetizer on my birthday and that was really lame.
Brought that up to the waitress and management and they did nothing afterwards.
makes me not want to eat in at all there.

I usually get take out and no issues w that.

If you eat in, that is a good deal then.
For me, I will pass on this..still have $150 in gift cards I bought a long time ago for pelican (had around $500 in gc..almost done using them up on products at their store :)

2011 Jan 7
Also wanted to add Swarmjam has 1/2 price cupcakes from Three Bakers and a Bike.
You get a dozen cupcakes for $7, have to order in advance.

Just bought that...hopefully they are good, have never been to that bakery

2011 Jan 7
Best way to keep track of all the coupon sites is to use Onespout.com. You can get all deals e-mailed to you in one e-mail daily, and filter out categories.

2011 Mar 10
Just a heads up that kahoot.ca's Ottawa's Deal of The Day is "$55 for $175 Worth of Naturally Raised Locally Grown Meats from Aubrey's Meats in Ottawa (ByWard Market) - 69% Discount" kahoot.ca

2011 Mar 10
I just bought 2 coupons from Aubrey. Thanks for the heads up L4F

2011 Mar 10
So, if the deal only applies to "Naturally Raised Locally Grown" meats (as the kahoot discussion suggests) can anyone tell us just how much variety that entails? If the only naturally raised locally grown meat they sell is beef heart then I'm not sure I want $175 worth of it. ;-)

2011 Mar 10
I've seen some great deals advertised this way.... I use One Spout to keep track of each daily deal since they list the day's daily deals all on one page.

Be careful and do check out the details of the deal because they may have some restrictions. Also check the location of where the offer is offered. What is the point if you live downtown but the offer is out in Carp.

2011 Mar 10
Fine print's not too bad on this one:

"Cannot be combined with any other offers. Holds no cash value. May redeem one voucher per visit, in-store. Can carry over balance in store credit (No cash back). Taxes not included. Does not expire. Pre-Orders Strongly Recommended. You can buy up to 10 for yourself and unlimited as gifts. Orders can be made after March 11."

2011 Mar 10
I work a couple buildings down from Aubrey's. I stopped in over lunch and asked about the deal. They confirmed that it applies to all meat in-store. The guy even said he was going to buy the coupon since it was better than his employee discount.

2011 Mar 10
Funny the employee there is buying it?
that there is no special rules like that...

I like that you can carry over a balance...good for people like me who have no extra freezer space.

Aubrey's has really good bbq chicken I was told.
They didnot have any the time I went..but was told it is around $17 for that!
They have good bacon there too!

2011 Mar 11
Another note about these offers is the special incentives they give to those that join and buy the deals.
For examples:
Groupon has a link to refer a friend and get $10.
SwarmJam gets members points for stuff with their referral link.
LivingSocial does multiple referral purchases criteria met and you get your purchase free when they use your referral link created after you made your purchase.

2011 Mar 12
Bah! Kahoot access was spotty all yesterday and I wasn't able to buy the coupon.

EDIT Looks like they've extended the deal until Sunday at Midnight. Maybe I wasn't the only one with connectivity problems?

2011 Mar 12
I just got the Aubrey's deal! Could not resist :-)

It makes sense from Aubrey's PoV - Feb and Mar are slow every year right across the meat industry I am told. I only got 31 hours this past week and there was 1 week the same in Feb. Though as we get closer to Easter I am told it will be more than made up for with 50 hour weeks.

2011 Mar 12
Eheh, I wonder who convinced you to do that...

2011 Mar 13
bought 2 coupons and slightly considering going for a 3rd since they do not expire as far as I can see.

2011 Mar 24
kahoot.ca
Today's Deal:
$5 for $10 worth of "Brown Bag" lunch at The Whalesbone Sustainable Oyster and Fish Supply in Ottawa

See the link for further details: www.kahoot.ca

2011 Apr 1
livingsocial.com
deal till Friday evening...

Bambu restaurant near T&T
$10 for $20 of food and drink

I think this is the new one set up by a family member of the owner of Yangtze. Not sure how good it is but go to T&T occassionally so could probably stop for some dimsum or lunch.

livingsocial.com

2011 Apr 1
Expired coupons:

I bought a coupon for sushigo byward market back in dec. It is not top notch sushi but have eaten at the ones in Montreal and they are decent enough for takeout if you are in a rush.

Found out today when I tried to use it that the coupon expired and I missed it.. k since giftcards no longer expire in ontario, like those in california, the retailer should honor it for the amount actually paid $10 even if the deal amount $20 expired. Sushigo refused to do so and I called livingsocial and livingsocial offered a refund.

While I was discussing things with an more responsible person in the store, the people working in the sushigo do not seem to be that experienced in making other than generic sushi. I know it is a chain but they seemed to be even younger than those I seen in montreal and the cashier did not even know the menu well and can just point me to the menu..

I have to admit I might be spoiled since between my last visit to sushigo in montreal and now, I had gone to a sushi restaurant in Lake las vegas that has one of the few master sushi chefs in north america and did their full tasting menu.. yumm.. Well worth the $100US for fantastic sushi and some cooked small plates including foie gras.. (salivating here lol)

2011 Apr 4
I went to the SushiGo on Albert st with my coupon and the staff refused to make me sushi from the menu and said I had to take what was in the fridge case.
After a few minutes of haggling and getting another employee I did manage to get some "fresh" sushi made.
This was at lunch,so this did not impress me.

Not going back to that location anytime.

The Glebe one is ok,the sushi there is allright,but they use too much mayo and panko/tempura flake or whatever.
My shrimp something sushi was a big blob of mayo and breadcrumbs or whatnot.
I do like their Inari sushi,but almost never get that as is expensive just for the added muchrooms in it...at $4 for 2pc :(

When downtown I sometimes go to Go for Sushi.
they are ok, cheaply priced, most fast sushi. not entirely authentic,but they have seaweed salad for $2,those green soybeans (forget the name) for $2 and some vietnamese rice paper rolls for around $4,also sometimes they have buy 1 get 1 1/2 price at the end of the day.
they are only open mom-fri and everytime I pass by they are busy with all the office workers in Minto place....

For take-out sushi I try and go to Suisha Gardens.
I like the salmon skin rolls,tempura shrimp rolls and the soft shell crab.
usually the chef adds a few extra pc and staff is always nice there too :)

2011 Apr 4
Okay, so you had a bad experience with the coupon and getting them to accept it ... but was the food any good? That's what the point of the coupon is: to get you to try their food.

I understand that they gave you a hard time and probably didn't live up to the spirit of the coupon either, but you have to do your part as well and evaluate the food objectively, not the service.

Okay. probably the service as well. I think my point is made. I'm just as guilty as some others who stop going to a place because of one bad experience, but especially where this influx of coupons is concerned, you have to give the service a pass. The management and the servers are tired of people who come in and are just looking for any way to lower their bill.

A few years ago, I used a coupon at the Waffle House down in Vanier. They took the lowest item off my bill, which was a side order of bacon. Not one of the mains. I was, understandably, upset by this. I did not return, but that was because the meal was mediocre at best and not worth the trip for me. I tipped on the total before the coupon. I told them about the coupon before we ordered. I did everything right. I still felt cheated.

2011 Apr 4
Rizak,

when I tried SushiGo in Montreal, it was merely okay not great sushi.. good for a grab and go during jazzfest and a tad above the supermarket sushi stands but no where near some of the decent sushi places in Montreal.

what was in the fridge in SuishGo in the market did not look that great..

I am sorry if I have to pay 15$ for a seaweed salad and a box of sushi, I would rather walk down to murray street cafe and have the 14$ lunch special which I did lol.. admited with coffee, tax and tip, it was $22 but well worth it for a good lunch.